• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tampa_Gamer

What Comes Next after the Iso Game Programming Book?

This topic is 5303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am nearing the end of my second (and much more thorough) read of E. Pazera''s Isometric Game Programming Book. Question for others that have taken this path, what comes next? I saw the he also has a book out about converting from 2D to 3D. There is also a book about making strategy games in 2D/3D published in Oct ''03 which looks interesting. I have read the various reviews and will probably end up getting both books, but I am open to suggestions. Also, with respect to the IsoHex core engine discussed in the book. I am still experimenting with various "proof of concepts" based on the that engine, does anyone have any minor/major performance tweaks they have done that they want to point me to. Were there any follow-up articles done by the author since then? Thanks -TG

Advertisement
I''m not sure if you saw my updated mouse maps for the book that allowed a 2D ISO engine to use height in the game, like in transport tycoon.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2026.asp

As for follow up articles I do not think that TANSTAAFL has wrote any more since his first IsoHex notes that are also on this site.

I also tried to write a 100% software renderer for a game I was writing at the time, but that is using TANSTAAFL''s code from his book and adding the ability for it to show height (but not slopes).

At the moment I am re-writing my game libs so that they are easier maintained and cleaner to read ( download the sample that I provided to see how bad my original graphics libs are - they are bad ). But I have learnt a few things from the book that I did not know, and I also know that what I''m doing in my mouse maps with height can be done using pure maths, but I lost the code from the Amiga that had all the formulea in to convert from world -> screen and back again when I got rid of my Amiga

When I find my code in tons of trouble,
Friends and colleages come to me,
Speaking words of wisdom:
"Write in C."

Writing a book is a long, grueling process. After writing a book on a topic, any topic, even a topic you love, you will likely find that for a while afterwards, you don''t even want to THINK about the topic. After a couple of months, you start to recover, and take a fresh look at what you have done. That''s when you fully realize all of the mistakes you made, you missed topic A completely, and didn''t talk enough about topic B. You just wouldn''t shut up about topic C, and what the hell were you thinking by putting topic D in there? Of course, your readers only see what you put into the book, and they cannot, like you, see what you left out that should be there. But it bothers you nonetheless. A few years later, you ask your publisher if you can do a revision of your book. Nay, a complete rewrite. The publisher remains mysteriously quiet, even after several emails.

So, the next version of "Isometric Game Programming with DirectX 7.0", which would be titled "Orthographic Projections and Tile Based World Representations"(and no, I''m not kidding-that''s the title), needs very badly to be, but in most likelihood never will be.

Please tell me that your re-write will have 2D as well as 3D programming, I do not want to see a load of people using 3D to do an iso game.

I can understand why you have not wrote anything since the book, and I really should read it some day (yes I''ve never actually read it from the start to the end) I just used it as a reference for my own programming, infact I don''t think I''ve ever read any programming books yet.

Oh and please do not rush the next book out TANSTAAFL, take your time, and make sure that you cover everything you want to with this book. We can wait, but not too long ...

When I find my code in tons of trouble,
Friends and colleages come to me,
Speaking words of wisdom:
"Write in C."

Thanks for the reply TANSTAAFL - in my opinion your book is truly fantastic for us "weekend coders" and I have learned a great deal from it. I look forward to reading the Focus On 2D in Direct3D book you wrote which I ordered from Amazon a few days ago (of course using the link from this website so GameDev.net gets credit).

Also, saw this from one of your early posts on the TOC for the IsoProgramming Book chapter list:
Space war(a space strategy game in hex)
Overview
Design
Implementation

I guess it never made it into the book, but since this is exactly what I am trying to learn how to do - did you ever program it or make a little example?

Regards,
-TG

[edited by - Tampa_Gamer on June 3, 2004 9:55:53 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!