• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moquan

Medieval/Renaissance type game

This topic is 5281 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m currently working on a RTS game that is similar in vein to games such as Age of Empires and the like, however, I want to get more in the grain with the different type of buildings and citizens... almost like a SimCity level of detail. I was curious as to what the thought on how indepth one thinks it should get? Also, I''m trying to think of all the buildings I''d need. I''ve got a pretty standard list, but what oddity might I be missing? Such as, what do you all think is missing in genres of this type? Thanks! -Moquan

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Out-house
Tannery
Church/praying area

I forgot to mention that the reason I''m polling everyone is that I''m a one man team so I''m sure I''m gonna miss something that''d make things fun and interesting.

I had church, but not tannary or praying area. I like both those ideas. I think that even though I''m trying to get nitty gritty, an out house might be included in dwellings such as house. Thanks!

-Moquan

A realistic system of farming development is always missing, where you have people out maintaining the fields, troops charging over the fields and damaging them, salting fields, brushfires... hell, the whole realistic system of "the peasants are part of the land" where the army that controls the field controls its peasants and its food supply. This would be much better than the WarCraft "build farms" thing. The whole consideration of food supply could be interesting - having to worry about storage, shipping food up to your men at desolate, mountain outposts and hoping their stores wont spoint before their next shipment arrives. If its renaissance, you could even have canals cut for shipping routes. Levying troops from the general populace would be good. Buildings for preserving food that would allow your stores to last longer and armys to survive longer away from an immediate food supply would be good.

At the very least, just don''t treat the farms as another building. The farms are the lifeblood of the army - whether its a supply line from home or looting the land they stand on, they need food.

You should definetly check out The Village of Wichamstow. It''s a complete virtual medieval village with information about many medieval crafts, for example charcoal burning, pottery and boneworking. Even though it is from a bit earlier timeframe (~1000AD) than you are looking for, it should give you a good idea what one would except to find in a medieval village.

Thanks Ecthelion for that website! I found it really interesting! I'm sure that it will be of some help! Would the combination of 'natural disasters' and war be too much for the player to handle? TOO realistic? I liked the idea of brushfires mentioned. I don't think I'd try and go for tornadoes and an onslaught of knights, but what about drought and such?

-Moquan

[edited by - moquan on June 2, 2004 8:53:39 AM]

[edited by - moquan on June 2, 2004 9:25:16 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!