• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AlbertoT

a raeson for .x?

This topic is 5224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello I am studying in these days the .x file architecture and I find ii rather complicated in comparison with Milkshape and m2d file format. I wonder what advantage can I expect with .x...no flame war..just a curiosity thanks in advance

Advertisement
D3DXMesh loads and manipulates .x files without issue.

It''s *NOT* designed to be a file format for general purpose use. It''s designed to work with D3DX, which is just a utility library that works with D3D. It''s mostly a learning tool, but it could be used on a professional level if you really wanted.

Thanks for your reply, but probably I did not make myself understood.
I mean what additional features (benefits) can I expect using .x file format ( if any ) rather then Milkshape \ m2d?
The fact that .x file is directly supported by direct x and by d3dx is not an argument in my opinion.
if a big car factory use custom and expensive components instead of standard and economic ones,you may have no other choice but purchasing from the big factory, but it is hard to say it is an advantage.
(That''s why I pointed out it was not my slightest intention to start a flame war, just to know)

I would say it is an argument. To use your analogy, if you buy a part from a car manufacturer that simply plugs in and you use it is easy. To have to make your own part from scrap metal to get it to fit isn''t easy. But other than that the parts perform the same. Now if you could say that someone offered the part you needed to get it to fit easily, then they would be the same. So in effect, with the right classes ms3d and m2d files would be the same. I don''t think there really is a major advantage over the other, just what type of work do you want to do with it, and how much work do you want to put into it.

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.

Greven

with MD2 and MS3D you write the code from scratch. unless you find helper classes/functions on the internet to assist you.

with X you have the D3DX classes/functions to assist with loading and rendering the mesh included with the DX SDK

The problem with your question is there is it is so open ended it would require an entire book to explain the advantages and disadvantes. What I mean by this is if you were talking in regards to DirectX then there are a number of advantages, but flat out with no context to apply it to it''s next to impossible to give you a decent answer and back it up with any real logic.

I guess what the best andwer would be then is "I don''t know"

Permafried-

There is nothing to gain from using the file format. Theres nothing to lose either ... Its a file format just as any other this one per chance is built into dx SDK utilities so developers can explore the possiblities of using the library. Its not going to be a perfect format for a game by any means.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!