moveing on

Started by
8 comments, last by Famine3d 19 years, 10 months ago
Ok I finished my schooling on C/C++ programing. Aced the classes woot!. What next? Should I jump into directx, openGL or should I learn MFC. I already make game models, so I kind of want to set my codeing tward game makeing, or assisting in game makeing. I know its a big load for one person. heck modeling is really to big for one person with a full time job. Can anyone help me take a correct path please? Joe/Famine3d
Advertisement
I''d suggest something like DirectX or OpenGL. Or make a complete and finished console based game. Learning a little bit of the Win32 API could be useful, although I personally wouldn''t recommend putting much effort into that or MFC. In those categories, learn what you need to get by, and not much more, because they''re getting kinda old and are being replaced with the newer (and apparently much better, from what I hear) stuff from Microsoft (Longhorn''s Avalon subsystem, .NET Windows Forms).

You could also do more "research" style learning, such as making a software 3D renderer, or delving into AI. That can be plenty of fun.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
I wouldn''t bother with MFC at this point in time, as it''s mostly there for desktop apps - and desktop apps are much more suited to something like C#, anyway.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

I''d take a look at the Win32 API before moving on to topics such as graphics or AI. Perhaps you''ll end up using some platform-independent API like GLUT or SDL, but chances are you''ll need some Win32 function like the Open or Save dialog. You don''t have to know every Win32 function by heart, but knowing what a LPSTR is or how Windows handles messaging will help you on the way. Check out this tutorial.

Graphics output is great to be able to do, too. If you want to use APIs like OpenGL or DX, or simpler ones like SDL, is up to you, but I''d recommend SDL if you don''t need 3D acutely.
2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2
thanks for the help
quote:
I''d suggest something like DirectX or OpenGL. Or make a complete and finished console based game.

I''d take a look at the Win32 API before moving on to topics such as graphics or AI.

OP:
so I kind of want to set my codeing tward game makeing, or assisting in game makeing

I love how people around here offer up perfectly useless advice. I''d wager no one in this thread has produced anything more ambitious than pong.

If you want to concentrate on actually making a game then go with allegro or sdl. There will be plenty of time to learn the api of your choice when you figure out how to actually finish a game.

Sagwagon: just because you never finish your projects doesn''t mean everybody else doesn''t, right?

Famine3d: although I use OpenGL myself, I think that you should think what you want to program for (consoles,computers etc)...

if you wanna go console; then I guess something in the lines of DirectX would be better (xbox), but if you go for computers - it really doesn''t matter. =)

it''s not what API you use, it''s how you use it. People made great games before the word API even was thought of..

Wish you well! cheers!
"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)
Just my opinion.

Win32 first, then MFC if you want.
DirectX after that. It is a good idea to know Win32 before doing just about any windows programming.

Sincerely,
Randy Trulson
www.GamePotato.com
www.NeuronGames.com
Sincerely,Randy Trulsonwww.NeuronGames.com
MFC is dead, there isnt a really good reason for learning to use now, its not portible and with the advent of .Net will probably never get an upgrade.

If you just want to program games then some Win32 is handy, but you dont have to know a huge amount about it; creating a window, getting keyboard events, destroying a window; thats about all you''ll really need.

Ofcourse, you can forget about Win32 and use something like SDL, which takes care of the creation and input stuff (as well as other things for you), and lets you work on the game without worrying about the rest of it (such as sound, input and networking)
The natural API to go with SDL is OpenGL which give you hardware accelerated features to use and speeds up drawing, for which you need to learn how to use OpenGL.

Your other option is ofcourse, DirectX. I dont know much about DirectX coding so i cant really comment on what you will need to know, but its just as capible for 3D work as OpenGL and it has a number of other sections (sound, input, networking) which can also help you along.

Really, your best bet would be to pick a couple of tutorials for SDL/OpenGL, Win32/OpenGL and DX and see which method you think makes sense, then go with it.
ok, ill play around with it all ans see what flows best with me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement