Game Network Programming Book

Started by
2 comments, last by J-Baby 19 years, 10 months ago
Hello all, As the title suggests, I''m looking for a good book on network programming for games. I already have plenty of experience with socket programming (so I don''t need one of those "this is how you create a socket" type of books), I''m looking for information on network programming as it applies to game development. More specifically, I''m looking for a book that addresses things like timing issues, keeping the game client and server in synch., player movement prediction, etc. Are there any good books out there that cover these topics? Thank you, John
Advertisement
If you find one, let me know :-) I''ve been looking for that too; but the best thing i''ve found so far is a very very short chapter in game programming gems (1 or 2, can''t remember)
Will do fenghus.
Ron Penton wrote a book reviewed here on Game Dev. Its more of a "Program your own Mud" type of book. But from what i know of him he''s a good technical author. You may consider that one.

There''s also an article that deals with alot of that stuff in detail, i believe it was part of a postmortem for UT or another popular FPS. i remember it was quite helpful. sorry i dont recall the name, maybe i''ll find it after a little google fishing.

Dredd

"To die with your sword still in its sheath is most regrettable" -- Miyomoto Musashi

"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement