• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobber

3Ds Max v6 (getting started)

This topic is 5250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yo, i am new to 3Ds Max, does anyone know were i can start off and learn the basics? ie tutorials, stuff like that to help me get started.. thx [edited by - Bobber on June 1, 2004 9:52:18 PM]

Advertisement
quote:
its going to be hard to find beginner tutorials

so, say, what tools used experienced max users when they began?

i think they probably used max. anyways, he is right, it's a hard program to master (3d in general is hard), but you can master it, probably, if you go step by step (well, i think someday i'll do ), and yes, google is your friend. i suggest you to think about something you want to start (ie: subdivision surfaces modeling, nurbs, texturing, lighting) and search something like: modeling + car + tutorial and... look!! there's plenty of tutorials!!. try to use one feature at a time (i mean, first try to be good with modeling, then with texturing, then with animation, etc) or you'll be lost quickly... well, i did.
just go step by step

-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.exepotes.com.ar

[edited by - exepotes on June 1, 2004 12:48:56 AM]

Max comes with extensive tutorials on the CD. Make sure you select the tutorials in the installers (it''s the default). Then jump into them; there really is no better way. You have to understand the basics of objects, modifier stacks, and materials, and you have to understand object transform, pivot transform, and linking -- then it should be all cake. The included manuals also do a decent job of explaining this. It''s really worth it reading through them!

Also, the help file contains information about pretty much everything, although you have to scan the topics that pop up in a search, because the top-ranked topic probably isn''t the one you actually want.

quote:
Original post by hplus0603
Max comes with extensive tutorials on the CD. Make sure you select the tutorials in the installers (it''s the default). Then jump into them; there really is no better way. You have to understand the basics of objects, modifier stacks, and materials, and you have to understand object transform, pivot transform, and linking -- then it should be all cake. The included manuals also do a decent job of explaining this. It''s really worth it reading through them!

Also, the help file contains information about pretty much everything, although you have to scan the topics that pop up in a search, because the top-ranked topic probably isn''t the one you actually want.

well.. i dont got the cd (i just downloaded it)

Ask them to ship you a box version as well. Most sellers give you a download and/or ship option when you purchase software over the Internet. Assuming you bought the software, of course.

[edited by - CodeMunkie on June 2, 2004 5:24:21 PM]

Hmm, I don''t think Discreet lets you buy it UNLESS you get the physical version. (Which comes with a CD, manual, and I think some free courseware, as hplus0603 mentions.) Doesn''t 3DS Max come with a hardware dongle?

---
- 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris
[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]

i also remember a time when something like 90% of the 3DS max downloads on the net included some happy trojan code so that by installing the pirated version you were also installing some nice backdoors for your friendly neighborhood black hat to exploit. so if you did download a pirated copy, i''d hope that you have some anti-virus software running, otherwise there''s a non-significant chance that you''ve just compromised your machine. i have no idea is this was a real thing or if it was some sort of FUD produced by the anti-pirate powers that be, but either way, pirated software can be very bad for your computer''s happiness.

you should look into some nice free modelling programs like milkshape or.... names escape me. i also believe that max has released some sort of learning build of their software if you want to just start learning the app. you can also check out the maya PLE (personal learning edition).

anyway, best of luck.

-me

Hi, so far i havent noticed any viruss/hacks/trojans (from anti-virus). Alright thanks for the programs, and that one program is GMax (i belive). Thx

quote:
Original post by bobber
Yo, i am new to 3Ds Max, does anyone know were i can start off and learn the basics? ie tutorials, stuff like that to help me get started.. thx

[edited by - Bobber on June 1, 2004 9:52:18 PM]

3DSMAX comes with an entire CD full of tutorials, including video tutorals.

Banned for using pirated software.

-Nick "digisoap" Robalik
Web & Print Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Design
http://www.digital-soapbox.com
nick@digital-soabox.com

[edited by - digisoap on June 3, 2004 5:34:35 PM]

This topic is 5250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.