• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TechnoGoth

The Circle of Death

This topic is 5278 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Catchy Title isn’t it? J This is a continuation of my thread Injuries and lethal combat I wanted to go further into the combat system and get some critique, criticism and comments. I will try and keep it simple, straight forward and short, to encourage comments. Vitality Vitality is a measure of the characters overall health, and fitness. Ten represents a healthy active adult; it is also the starting level for most characters. Various things can decrease vitality such as malnutrition, disease, serious injuries, and low physical activity. Like wise various things can restores and increase vitality. For easy of play at present I have decided that no character can be killed if they have 10 vitality at the beginning of combat. This is to allow players who are worried about character loss an out so to speak, as long as they ensure their characters are healthy before engaging in battle they won’t have to risk one being killed. I should also note that players don’t have multiple save games, there is just save file per player character, one of the game ending conditions is the main character dying which results in the end of game, where you get to see an epitaph and notes on your accomplishments. Since I know players don’t like to lose, I have also included chapter markers, after key story events the story starts a new chapter and the events up to then are saved. The player can choose to appended their current game and continue from the start of any chapter at anytime including after being killed. The circle of Death Well okay, it really more of a grid of death, but that doesn’t sound nearly as interesting Okay back to the topic on hand. The circle of death refers to the characters offensive radius it represents the range of their weapon, any opponent entering a character’s circle of death can be attacked. The circle of death is divided into rings, based on the technique and weapon used by the character which is know as range, the first ring is the impaired ring , which represents an attempt to attack an opponent closer then weapons intended range, attacks in the impaired ring suffer a significant penalty to hit and are significantly easier to dodge. The second ring is the optimal ring this represents a weapons intend range. The third ring is the maximum ring which represent the furthest the weapon can be used attack in this ring attacks suffer a damage penalty and the defender as gains a bonus to dodging. To give you an idea how this works you have the following engagement Oda armed with a katana range 2, and Jubei fighting unarmed, range 1 Maximum ring + Optimum ring * Impaired ring – + + + + + + + + * * * * * + + * - - - * + + * - O - * + + * - - - * + + * * * * * + + + + + + + + + + + + + + * * * + + * J * + + * * * + + + + + + As you can see from this example Oda has the range advantage however if Jubei can get within his optimal range and remain there then he will have a significant advantage over Oda and is most likely to win the engagement. Combat Grids There are two grids in the game the absolute grid and the relative grid the absolute grid represents the entirety of the engagement area it can contain many objects and has no fixed size, the absolute grid is a direct translation of the terrain the characters where in prior to combat, thus if you where in a small village outside a bakery when the opponents attack you would be in the same place on the absolute grid. The edges of the absolute grid are made up of a combination of impassable obstacles and escape points. Character entering an escape point can flee from battle. The second grid is the relative grid this is created when two or more opposing characters enter each other’s circles of death. The relative gird can move through the absolute grid as the characters involved move. This is where the majority of combat takes place. In the case of Oda an Jubei the relative grid would look like this. + + + + + + + + * * * * * + + * - - - * + + * - O - J + + * - - - * + + * * * * * + + + + + + + + + + + + + + * * * + O * J * + + * * * + + + + + + As you can see Jubei has to move into Oda optimal ring before he can even attack. Techniques Techniques fall into seven types, offences, defence, counter, movement, offences-movement, defences-movement, counter-movement, the last three consist of both action and a movement, while the first three consist solely of an action. All techniques are part of a style and each style is part of a school . At present the number of techniques in any given style is 12, although I may change this. All techniques in a given style are all performed with a specific type of weapon/s, or unarmed. A school comprises a number of different styles, which may use different weapons. A character can learn any number of techniques, of any number of styles and schools, however it can be difficult to be accepted by master to be taught a style or join a school, so it doubtful that a character will ever acquire every technique. I’m still trying to decide the benefits of mastering a style or school. At present the only benefits are choice of techniques and a reputation bonus and associated title. I won’t go into to detail on learning techniques but it is easier to learn techniques that use similar styles and/or belong to the same school, it is also much harder to learn techniques that are of opposite styles or school. The latter refers to the fact the some schools have vastly different approaches to body movement and weapon use. I am considering make those styles mutually exclusive, meaning to learn one requires you to unlearn another, does that sound like a good idea to people? At present the only reason not to learn a large number of styles is the decrease in over all proficiency you suffer form dividing your training, but at the same time the character has potentially greater flexibility. Each technique targets one of seven body zones. Head Chest Stomach Left arm Right arm Left Leg Right leg The target zone indicates the target for the attack and not necessarily the actual zone of impact. They also have a range modifier, which adjust the range of the weapon for that attack, for many techniques the modifier is 0, generally a technique with range modifier value other then 0 is used when your opponent is outside the optimal ring. Each technique has damage modifier value, which is used to adjust the damage table value of the weapon used. The damage table is what is used to calculate the injury sustained in a hit. There is also a force value, which adjusts the weapons viciousness, viciousness modifiers the score on the damage table. There is also a damage type value, which determines the kind of damage the technique inflicts, this may be changed by the weapon depending on the weapon. As in the case of a slash attack done with a wooden sword would cause impact damage instead of slash damage. Techniques also have a balance change, which changes the character’s balance, the more off balance the character the more likely they will be hit or miss. There is also speed, which determines how fast the technique is. Recovery time, which indicates how long it, takes to recover from the technique, and drain which is how much stamina is required to use the technique. When stamina is depleted fatigue builds, all a characters stats are decreased in proportion to their fatigue compared to their maximum stamina. In the case movement techniques, there is a move path that represents the path in which the character moves when performing that technique. So back to are example Oda and Jubei < < < < < < < < < < < = = = > > < < < < = = = > > < < < O = = J > > < < < < = = = > > < < < < = = = > > < < < < < < < When Jubei moves into Oda’s circle of death Oda attacks, he performs the scream falcon, an offensive-movement technique: Move path = 1 forward. Target Zone = chest Range modifier = 0 Damage type = slash Damage Modifier = 2 Force = 2 Balance = +2 Speed = 5 Recovery time = 7 Drain = 20 < < < < < < < < < < < = = = > < < < < = = = > < < < O = J = > < < < < = = = > < < < < = = = > < < < < < < < Jubei responds by perform the winding river a Defensive- movement technique: Move path = 1 left, 2 forward, Balance = -1 Speed = 7 Recovery time = 2 Drain = 5 < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < = = = = = < < = = O = = < < = = J = = < < = = = = = < < = = = = = < Dodging the attack, Jubei then attack with the lashing tide An offensive technique: . Target Zone = head Range modifier = 0 Damage type = impact Damage Modifier = 0 Force = 0 Balance = +1 Speed = 10 Recovery time = 5 Drain = 5 Which results in a hit to Oda, and Oda suffers a minor head injury and is dazed Well that was a little longer then I intended, if your wonder combat will be pseudo turn based. Am I missing anything important? Does it all make sense? Was it to long that you didn’t bother to read it? Comment, criticize and discuss. ----------------------------------------------------- "Fate and Destiny only give you the opportunity the rest you have to do on your own." Current Design project: Ambitions Slave [edited by - TechnoGoth on June 2, 2004 11:49:02 AM]

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!