Leveleditor and other tools

Started by
3 comments, last by Austrian Coder 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi community, i have wirrten much parts of my little engine, and now i want to test it with some real levels. Now I am looking for a free? - not a must - level editor which can be used for outdoor and indoor. I have looked around, but found nothing useful. Some of you say now, that i should make my own editor, which works perfectly with my engine, but * it will cost alot if time * i have nerver writen an editor * i have used an editor not very often Maybe somebody could help me. Oh and at the moment im am very felible with the levelformat. Christian
Advertisement
Your level editor must be compatible with your game engine.. iow if you use bsp trees in your game you will need a bsp level editor.

Austrian Coder wrote:
    i have wirrten much parts of my little engine, and now i want to test it with some real levels.
    Oh and at the moment im am very felible with the levelformat.

Sounds like you haven't done your planning. Level editors are very case specific... I don't know of any good free editors that can handle both indoor and outdoor enviroments. Maybe you just need a 3D editor?

[edited by - Herr_O on June 2, 2004 8:40:30 AM]

In which case, you probably want to implement a Quake III .bsp loader for indoor areas, since that is probably the widest-spread indoor level format, (if you are developing on Windows there are several good .bsp editors, a couple on Linux, but none for Mac), Then perhaps a simple height-map based outdoor terrain engine.

I personally prefer non-polygon engines, and tend to write my own editors (and modellers).
Also, how about in-engine level editing, specifically I am thinking of the Cube engine (www.cubeengine.com), which has on-the-fly level editing (even in multi-player)!

Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes, the ones who see things differently.

[edited by - SwiftCoder on June 2, 2004 8:47:33 AM]

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

well, you can go to gametutorials.com and look at their quake map file format tutorials. All the data from the map is there, just grab what info you need from it. worked for me
I know the tutorial, but can i also set soundsources (fire, wind,..) and their options (FX''s, sound boundingbox)?
Objects (tables,...) should work - or?

My dream is to have a beautiful cathedral level... maybe i will find one.
But for the beginning bsp should be ok.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement