• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mulligan

How to lists like in the starcraft trigger editor

This topic is 5226 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If anyone has used the starcraft trigger editor, you will be familiar with the list style control they implement. I cant figure out what kind of control that they used. Anyone know?

Advertisement
Its probably not a single control, but a scrollable subform meant to look like a pseudo-listbox. I''ve implemented such things in Python using TkInter.

Outlook/OE has a similar control used for a very very similar system (called "Rules"), so perhaps that would be a good place to look.

makes sense, however this 'rules' thing, what is that? I cant exactly search for it because its such a common word, any particular place to look for it?

Im using C# if that has any bearing

[edited by - Mulligan on June 2, 2004 9:49:00 AM]

quote:
Original post by Mulligan
makes sense, however this ''rules'' thing, what is that? I cant exactly search for it because its such a common word, any particular place to look for it?

Im using C# if that has any bearing

[edited by - Mulligan on June 2, 2004 9:49:00 AM]

Look at the programs Microsoft Outlook, and/or Microsoft Outlook Express...that''ll give you what you need to know.

You may consider making your own control modelled after the ones you mentioned. It should be manageable with knowledge of basic undergraduate computer science data structures and Win32 controls.

You may consider using a *good* templated Tree data type to handle the decisions and "rule flow". If each node in the tree has a linked list in which each node represents one of the values (i.e. for the "give resources" action, there would be three nodes - the team, the number of units, and the type of units - these represent the variables).

A simple child window that takes the data off the tree and presents it or allows you to edit it should be all you need.

Please note that I''ve never done this, but I think it''s the most obvious or basic way to begin trying to implement your own. If you do choose to do it this way, good luck!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!