• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oluf

Where to start with AI?

This topic is 5222 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey. I am still new to C++ (and programming in general) but my current plan is to get into doing something that got to do with AI. However I have not been able to find any good places to read about this so any links/sugestions/ideas/other would be nice As I said I am new so no reason to give me a link to something that is to advanced right away...I am just looking for the basic Thanks

Advertisement
Heya, i bought a book called AI Application Programming.

Price £37
ISBN: 1-58450-278-9

Description:

Introduces you into how to program the simple AI principles in C/C++.

Covers:

ART1 (Adaptive Resonance Theory)
Ant Algorythms
Neural Networks and Back Propogation (my favourite chapter)
Genetic Algorythms (Also very good)
Rules-Based Systems
Fuzzy Logic
Bigram Model
Agent-Based Software

I would say this book is at a beginner-intermediate level, but in my opinion if you get a book that is to beginner based u won''t learn much. This book contains good code with the chapters.

regards

ace

Well I''d say you should just start writing programs that need AI in some way. E.g. you could start off simple and write a tic tac toe game with an AI opponent. For more advanced things you could try writing bots for moddable games such as Half Life. You could look at open source games (e.g. at Sourceforge) and because they''re open source you could try writing AI for them. Take a look at Gamedev''s AI section, read some articles to give you ideas on how to do things.

Thanks a lot for your replys and surgestions...i will look into it

Obviously, the place to start is in the AI forum here at GameDev.net.

John Bolton
Page 44 Studios
Current project: NHL Faceoff 2005 PS2

I think Mat Buckland''s AI Game Programming Techniques is pretty good. Easy to read. Probably the best introductory neural net stuff I have ever seen.

Most AI in video games is usually simplified from academic work. While reading Peter Norvig''s AI A Modern Approach is definitely an enlightening read, the vast majority of AI in games is usually very simple stuff based on Finite State Machines. Sometimes a little Fuzzy logic. Very rarely does anyone use Genetic Algorithms and Neural networks because they require way to much processing power and I do not think they are yet really well understood in how to use them effectively in games (but the trend is growing, they will eventually find alot more use).

So, to start, learn about Finite state machines and how they are used for controlling bots in games like Quake. Later on you can learn the cooler stuff like Genetic Algorithms and neural nets.

Peace

Once again thanks for your replys

The current problem I am having is that most tutorials on the net is to advanced (they asume you already know something about AI, wich I dont)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!