• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D3DXVECTOR3

What format do you use for levels/maps??

This topic is 5226 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The 1st thing that comes to my mind if the Q3 editor, there are alot of examples tutorials on how to read them the data. The problems is that I dont want to use the Q3 editor, because it VERY slow in building the level. Last year we used the Q3 editor and mapformat on a small game we made for a school project. I had build a nice level, it wasn''t really big or anything and it took my AMD 2200 over 10 hours to build the map. I really like UnrealED, it builds a full level with lights and all in just a few mins. It would be really geat if someone has some info on the map format for UnrealED or a way to extract the level geometry, textures and lightmaps from UnrealED. Basicly I''m looking for an Editor that builds a map fast in just a few mins with lightmaps. I just need the level geometry, textures and lightmaps. Maybe I could write a plugin for 3ds Max that will do this, since I like 3ds Max very much. It also builds the lightmaps pretty fast but 1st I wanna look for an editor that does what I want

Advertisement
Besides using someone else''s level format / editor, it looks like you can:

(1) Write a plugin for 3ds-max (like you suggested): I like this idea, since max already has all the features you need, and more. Also, writing plugins for max is pretty simple - just check out their SDK site. However, creating custom objects for your map could be kind of difficult.

(2) Make your own editor: it sounds overwhelming, but with the advent of C# and managed DX, it can actually be done in a reasonable amount of time. C# is just like VB in that it''s RAD, but it still maintains the power of C++. Have fun with managed dx and it''s documentation - or lack of documentation. The Summer 2004 sdk has much better docs, though.

As of right now, it looks like the 3ds Max plugin is your best option. You''re going to have some trouble adding all the little custom interfaces that you want, but it shouldn''t be too big of a deal. You just have to learn 3ds max''s api and plugin system (which is no trivial task ).

Also, you''re probably going to have to make your own level format, unless you want to use some other kind. Using someone else''s wouldn''t really make sense though, because you''re going to have to write your own importer/exporter, anyways. You my as well create your own format, the way you want it.

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP

Yep, it looks like I have to right a plugin for Max, I haven''t found any info/loader/example on other map fomats. I was hoping for UnrealED format.

Well I always wanted to write a plugin for 3d Max so here I go

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!