• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dave

A Good AI Book I Bought (Details Follow)

This topic is 5264 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Heya, i bought a book called AI Application Programming. Price £37 ISBN: 1-58450-278-9 Description: Introduces you into how to program the simple AI principles in C/C++. Covers: ART1 (Adaptive Resonance Theory) Ant Algorythms Neural Networks and Back Propogation (my favourite chapter) Genetic Algorythms (Also very good) Rules-Based Systems Fuzzy Logic Bigram Model Agent-Based Software I would say this book is at a beginner-intermediate level, but in my opinion if you get a book that is to beginner based u won''t learn much. This book contains good code with the chapters. regards ace

Advertisement
Only one chapter is, and even that is loosely based. The chapter on Neural Networks and Back Propogation uses an exam of how game bot AI could be programmed by training the network to either Run, Hide or Attack with various situations.

But all chapters mainly focus on the basic principals and a full example in C++.

Also it doesn't really take much imagination to apply these theories to game ai though, to be honest brilliant game AI would probably use all of these types.

regards

ace

[edited by - ace_lovegrove on June 5, 2004 10:35:31 AM]

Quote:
Original post by ace_lovegrove

Heya, i bought a book called AI Application Programming.

Price £37
ISBN: 1-58450-278-9

Description:

Introduces you into how to program the simple AI principles in C/C++.

ace

Thanks for the heads up ace. I hadn't heard of this book at all...is it relatively new?

The book is a couple of years old I think. I picked it up in India for $5 :)

It's a well written, if very shallow, introduction to the topics ace listed, with example code provided in C. Definately worth considering as an easy-to-get-into introductory text but if you are remotely familiar with the topics you'll probably find your money wasted.

interesting i might get that book!
but shouldn't this be in Book Discussions forum.
or is this one of those threads that will appear in both??

I'm not sure if this discussion should belong to the Books discussion... I mean, I actually had no idea this forum even existed.

On this issue, Timkin, did you talk with the other mods about the idea of having books sections per forum where trusted people could give their opinion on thems (as discussed a few weeks ago)?

Cheers

e.

i don't see why not. i mean we are discussing a book and giving reviews and opinions on it. also it got a couple of people interested in getting the book, including myself

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!