• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kulik

Multiplayer server

This topic is 5282 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I got some experience with networking but those are like 2 machines networking, ... I want to do something more, so I thought about little MMORPG. 100 players - nothing more in a small non-complex world with Octree. I have 3D engine that I coded and it would fit. But where and how to get server? I dont want to spend much money on that. It would be for testing purposes only. No commercial project. Some suggestions? I am from Czech Republic (Europe)

Advertisement
You could host the server on your own machine. I''m planning something similar (when i have the free time), the clients just need to connect to a service on my domain hosting and retrieve either my machines current IP or a ''server offline'' response.

The downsides are that your bandwidth is very limited, you''ll be offline quite a lot (possibly) and it''ll get in the way of your general web browsing / downloads. On the upside its a relatively easy way to set things up and if the project is proven to work you could look at some proper hosting later on.

THX. Currently I have it on my LAN with client bandwidth limited to 256 kb/s :-p to make things more real :-)

[edited by - kulik on June 3, 2004 1:11:02 AM]

Just out of interest, do you feel deving over the lan has been a big help? I don''t have a second PC at home and i''m considering running multiple clients on my PC and routing each one through a seperate network adapter (both connecting to the same router).

I have 3 PCs so 1 is server, 2 are clients. They all have 100 Mbit/s. Its a little internet simulation :-)

[Edited by - kulik on February 5, 2006 5:01:58 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!