Multiplayer server

Started by
3 comments, last by kulik 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I got some experience with networking but those are like 2 machines networking, ... I want to do something more, so I thought about little MMORPG. 100 players - nothing more in a small non-complex world with Octree. I have 3D engine that I coded and it would fit. But where and how to get server? I dont want to spend much money on that. It would be for testing purposes only. No commercial project. Some suggestions? I am from Czech Republic (Europe)
Advertisement
You could host the server on your own machine. I''m planning something similar (when i have the free time), the clients just need to connect to a service on my domain hosting and retrieve either my machines current IP or a ''server offline'' response.

The downsides are that your bandwidth is very limited, you''ll be offline quite a lot (possibly) and it''ll get in the way of your general web browsing / downloads. On the upside its a relatively easy way to set things up and if the project is proven to work you could look at some proper hosting later on.

THX. Currently I have it on my LAN with client bandwidth limited to 256 kb/s :-p to make things more real :-)

[edited by - kulik on June 3, 2004 1:11:02 AM]
Just out of interest, do you feel deving over the lan has been a big help? I don''t have a second PC at home and i''m considering running multiple clients on my PC and routing each one through a seperate network adapter (both connecting to the same router).
I have 3 PCs so 1 is server, 2 are clients. They all have 100 Mbit/s. Its a little internet simulation :-)

[Edited by - kulik on February 5, 2006 5:01:58 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement