• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SrConchiwa

Looking for examples of 3D game design/architecture

This topic is 5284 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I believe "game architecture" is the correct phrase I am looking for, even though several searches have returned articles about the significance of buildings/structures in games. Just to be clear, I am referring to the high level design of the actual code. What I am looking for, and having a hard time finding, is examples of how successful games have combined elements such as AI, sound, input, scripting, physics, the 3d engine (though some engines seem to do much more than just 3d graphics), networking, etc. I am looking for an optimal design for the 3d action game my student organization is about to embark on. Reading a few past posts, I have heard great things said about how Unreal was organized. What I am hoping someone out there has seen (and has a link to) is some information explaining how games like Unreal architectured their game from the high level components down to the lower level interactions. Thanks everyone!

Advertisement
For Unreal Engine info google the Unreal Engine Wiki, or check out The Unreal developers network. You can find some decent information on UDN under "Unreal Engine 2" (used for Unreal 2, UT2K3 and UT2K4 among other things) detailed Unreal 2.5 and 3 info is only available to liscencees.

I found FarCry to be very help ful in understanding game arch. I was reading farcry''s lua scripts last night for some time and didnt understand a piece of it but I beleive they will really help on it.

Including Unreal, using Half-Life or quake3 SDK will may also help.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!