• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dwmitch

Gentle enough for a child, but edgy enough for teens/young adults...

This topic is 5278 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The title pretty much says it all, but I need a design that will allow for children to be able to play it without parental objection, but edgy enough to hold the interests of the 15+ crowd. Obviously, blood, profanity, and sexual innuendo is out, since I don''t want to expose children to anything I wouldn''t expose my own children to, but what does that leave for the older crowd?

Advertisement
Hmm... You asked us to do something, and put restrictions on us, but you haven''t suggested anything yourself yet. Make us do all the dirty work.

Nonetheless, I''ll present my opinion. Or more, I''ll point to something else that seems to have been incredibly successful in this manner: Shrek (1 & 2). Parents enjoy it; young adults enjoy it; kids enjoy it; most people seem to get plenty of entertainment from it, regardless of age. Why? I''m not an expert, so I''m only guessing, but I''d say because there is a ton of stuff for every single age group to relate to, and in many different situations. It also is very clever in its presentation of a lot of things, such that people who wouldn''t be as interested in it don''t even notice. There are jokes that are more on the mature side, but many kids will probably miss most of them, ''cause they''re busy focusing on something else. There are a lot of child themes that would bore many adults, except the adults are usually busy relating to or thinking about or looking for the more adult-oriented content. There is an overload of content in those movies, such that even if you only care about half of the content, it still keeps your interest quite thoroughly the whole time.

So I guess to summarize, make sure that there''s plenty of content pretty much the whole way through for every age group you''re targeting, and somehow also make sure that people aren''t distracted by the content that target another age group, because it''s clever or subtle enough, and because the content that targets them more directly is more evident to them.

When a kid wants violence, he gets it, not depending on the style of the game. Pacman could be bloody game to the mind of little maniac child :F

You could write it on many levels. Go ahead, and read the originals Alice in Wonderland or The Little Red Riding Hood. You''d be surprised.

quote:
Original post by dwmitch
The title pretty much says it all, but I need a design that will allow for children to be able to play it without parental objection, but edgy enough to hold the interests of the 15+ crowd.

Obviously, blood, profanity, and sexual innuendo is out, since I don''t want to expose children to anything I wouldn''t expose my own children to, but what does that leave for the older crowd?

Wasn''t making you do the dirty work. I was thinking about the Shrek style, but I saw some things in there I wouldn''t want my 10 year old niece to see, so I don''t know.

I may go with it anyway (throwing in adult humor in a child''s genre).

You don''t need blood or violance to make an ''edgy'' game that appeals to 15+, you just need a sufficiantly interesting challenge. Racing games being an obvious example - its all about control, timing and competition. Take these elements and expand on them.

Why stick with a ''traditional'' platform game? Add an intelligent AI character to race against, with traps and deadfalls and surprises each can unleash on the other. Likewise, why do you have to be able to shoot in a shoot-em-up - evasion and avoidance of mass hoards of opponents could be equally challenging. Take something regular and done before, then add new challenges and objectives.

racing can become violent if the graphics and details in the crash are better then the game, hmm... can''t remember the title though lol

quote:
Original post by PouyaCatnip
You don''t need blood or violance to make an ''edgy'' game that appeals to 15+, you just need a sufficiantly interesting challenge. Racing games being an obvious example - its all about control, timing and competition. Take these elements and expand on them.

Why stick with a ''traditional'' platform game? Add an intelligent AI character to race against, with traps and deadfalls and surprises each can unleash on the other. Likewise, why do you have to be able to shoot in a shoot-em-up - evasion and avoidance of mass hoards of opponents could be equally challenging. Take something regular and done before, then add new challenges and objectives.

Thank you! The mistake I was making was trying to apply the TV/movie paradigm to video games.

It''s an RPG, which I''m making it so linear it''s pretty much little more than an interactive movie.

However, the challenges may be enough to keep the 15+ crowd, although at some point it may lose the 8 - 14 crowd.

I dont know of any rpgs that can hold the average eight or ten year old... the only games that can satisfy both crowds would be arcade sort of games like a previous poster mentioned. any rpg would have to have very strong arcade elements, such as lost vikings or many of the old side scrolling games.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!