• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xmd

Working on a 3d Side Scroller.....Take a look

This topic is 5222 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I'm working on a 3d side scroller type game. The name of it is Oreo. It's just a name. nothing special. I'm lookin for any ideas or comments on it. not much to explain. Just take a look and see. the right mouse button moves you arround the level editor as well as the arrows.. or clicking in the preview region. There is a console. though i havnt bound much to it. You can change the camera position by "set camera x y z" "view camera" also works. It has custom file load/save dialogs which need some improvement but im working on other things now. It saves the level data in text files with a .map extention I'm working on importing 3d files for objects. this is a 3 meg file.. so beware. but i pulled it at 350k so... www.wrench-time.com/code/oreo.zip -xmd174 on AIM -x m d [edited by - xmd on June 2, 2004 6:05:09 PM]

Advertisement
Well, I''ve got 30+ downloads. I''m sure someone has something to say!

Aim: xmd174
-x m d

For those who downloaded and responded to me via AIM. Thanks much.

I''ve gotten all of the selection dialog''s working and some animation.

And the zip file has been updated.
As of today its 4300 lines of code.

I''ve gotten over 100 dl''s. so if the link doesnt work its because my site has hit its quota.

A new screen shot...

AIM- xmd174
-x m d

The program creates a log file. iy people would tell me what the FPS is and what speed box/vid card youre using that would help a good bit.

I''ve gotten some feedback about the mouse. I''m attempting to fix it but it runs fine on my amd 2500 and my p4 2.4. I''m told its to fast.

AIM: xmd174
-x m d

It will look great when its running like a game. I made a 3d side scroller but couldnt take it further because I didnt had any easy level editor to make levels. So I had to use 3dmax for this.

http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/ahmedali/prog_experiments/pages/x1.htm

You have made a good choise to make a level editor behore game. GoodLuck.

Guest Anonymous Poster
i am just starting to develop a platformer myself. Although mines not nearly as tough as yours cause mines only gonna be 2d. but anyways i need some help. ive never created any platformers or games of this nature before. I dont think i started at the right point. As DirectXXX said he thought it was a good idea to start on a level editor before the game. is that true should i start there? i started on the actual game screen first and i dont know how i should go about making it scroll horizontally or vertically. i thouhgt maybe with many different square screens and making them link together or having the backgruound be one large picture and when you move the character the background moves in a direction (i think that is what i want to do) but i just dont know. please help me with this.

Thxx

Well, Even though im 26, I''ve been doing the game thing since i was 13, early 90''s type dos stuff.

What i learned back then.
I''m broke
I''m broke
I''m broke

That means, i had no access to anything to help me develop anything. and most certainly no internet. Today photo editors, freeware sound editors and compilers are easily avail. So Everyone has it easier. With all the downloadable sourcecode and free programs..etc

I saved up 134 bux and bought Turboc++ 3.0 for dos and began my oddesy. I had nothing to Draw tiles so i had to write a tile editor. Then Levels. Same thing...

I spent more time building Tools than actualy working on the games.

I suggest you try some small stuff before you jump into something large. It all builds on itself.

Though for a screen scrolling. I dont know what sorta stuff youre doing this might help.

have a screen vector.. say _screen_position(x,y);

And build your world. obviously its gona be larger than the screen. so prolly 4 or 5x the SCREEN.

To display the screen just subtract the screen position from the object position. Clip everything else. and there you go.

Im not using actual screen coords for my world, just units i scale... because i dont want the coords to big but same differance.

Aim: xmd174
-x m d

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!