Visual Studio .NET 2003 vs. MSVC 6

Started by
14 comments, last by sirSolarius 19 years, 10 months ago
Well even better.

[edited by - Zipster on June 3, 2004 1:01:03 AM]
Advertisement
Do what I did...

Download the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 from Microsoft for free, and replace the old binaries and libraries with the downloaded ones.

You have all the benefits of a MUCH better compiler and linker, and can still use the decent IDE that comes with Visual Studio 6.

Best of all, you save yourself 100 bucks.
quote:and can still use the decent IDE that comes with Visual Studio 6.

IMO the IDE is a very good reason to upgrade to VS.Net, it''s far superior to the VS 6 one.
Also remeber you need a decent computer to run the new version since it''s such a resource hog not to mention a modern windows OS. Then again what respectable programmer would still be using windows me to develop?
Does Visual Studio .NET 2003 work on Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me) operating systems?

A.
These platforms are not supported at design time. This decision was made to ensure that you would be able to benefit from the most advanced platform features available today. For code execution, Microsoft Windows 98 and later editions are supported
also from microsoft:

Top 10 Reasons to Upgrade to Visual Studio .NET 2003
Explore the top 10 reasons to upgrade to Visual Studio .NET 2003.

Develop for Devices
With Visual Studio .NET 2003 you can now construct applications for a variety of mobile devices, including Pocket PCs, Tablet PCs, mobile phones, and more.* Applications can be created using either Microsoft Visual Basic® .NET 2003 or Microsoft Visual C#® .NET 2003.

Use the .NET Framework 1.1
In version 1.1, the Microsoft .NET Framework has been updated and modified to reflect user requests for enhanced security and performance.

Upgrade Wizard
The popular upgrade wizard for moving Visual Basic 6.0 applications to Visual Basic .NET has been improved and now supports upgrading User Controls and Web Classes.

Integration of Visual J# .NET
Visual Studio .NET 2003 includes Microsoft Visual J#™ .NET, a development tool for Java-language developers who want to build applications and XML Web services using the .NET Framework.

Enterprise Instrumentation Framework (EIF)
Visual Studio .NET 2003 enables integration of the Enterprise Instrumentation Framework (EIF) to easily add run-time monitoring capabilities to any application.

XML Web Services Support
Visual Studio .NET 2003 includes improved support for working with XML Web services, as well as support for the latest Web services standards including WS-Routing, WS-Security, WS-Attachments, and Direct Internet Message Encapsulation (DIME).

Improved Debugger
An enhanced debugger displays more readable and intuitive views of data, helping you detect and fix errors in your code before deployment.

New ADO.NET Managed Providers
New managed providers offer easy access to Oracle 7i, Oracle 8i, and ODBC data sources.

Online, Third-party Community Sites
Gain knowledge and advice from the improved integrated Dynamic Help system, as well as a host of online, third-party community sites.

Visual Studio .NET Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
The enhanced Visual Studio .NET 2003 IDE provides improved start-up time, performance, and reliability.

* Device-based development is available as part of Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional, Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise, and Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise Architect editions.

If God played dice, He''d win.
—Ian Stewart, Does God Play Dice? The Mathematics of Chaos
If God played dice, He'd win.—Ian Stewart, Does God Play Dice? The Mathematics of Chaos
How do I get a free, legal version of the Visual C++ compiler?
quote:Original post by Monder
quote:and can still use the decent IDE that comes with Visual Studio 6.

IMO the IDE is a very good reason to upgrade to VS.Net, it''s far superior to the VS 6 one.

I agree. Navigation between files is MUCH easier in VS.net.

And i love the debugger!
2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement