GDI drawing without showing a window

Started by
5 comments, last by Dark Star 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi guys, I got this application that runs in the system tray. Every so often it draws a message on the screen using GDI. To do this it must show its window and draw the text onto screen then hide its window. (The program is designed to show subliminal messages, and keep them on for 15 milliseconds). I was wondering if there is a way I can draw straight onto the users screen without having to show the application''s window? Because showing the application''s window, interferes with other processes, such as a game running in full screen. Another subliminal program which Im copying does not show any window, it appears to write its messages on the screen, while having only an icon in the system tray. Could anyone please help Thanks DarkStar UK ------------------------------- Loves cross-posting because it works
---------------------------------------------You Only Live Once - Don't be afriad to take chances.
Advertisement
Maybe this will help point the way: Overlay surfaces.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
quote:Original post by LessBread

It seems to be using DirectX not GDI!

"...and we all know what "undefined" means: it means it works during development, it works during testing, and it blows up in your most important customers' faces."----------Scott Meyers, "Effective C++"
I need to know specifically if I can draw onto the screen without a window being shown? Anyone else with a suggestion?

Thanks

DarkStar
UK

-------------------------------
Loves cross-posting because it works
---------------------------------------------You Only Live Once - Don't be afriad to take chances.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdi/devcons_4esj.asp

quote:
[in] Handle to the window whose DC is to be retrieved. If this value is NULL, GetDC retrieves the DC for the entire screen.

''nuff said.
I''ve tried that getting the hdc using NULL, still dont see anything displayed on my screen

DarkStar
UK

-------------------------------
Loves cross-posting because it works
quote:Original post by remi
quote:Original post by LessBread

It seems to be using DirectX not GDI!

Yes, that''s true, but the frame work is there and we laid the ground work for that demo here in these forums using GDI.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement