3d RPG and maps

Started by
1 comment, last by Johnn 19 years, 10 months ago
Ive been learning openGL for some time now and I started working on my first project which is a RPG. Ive read the height map exemple in opengl game programming, which is one of the ways I could use to make my maps (I played around with this method. From a high above POV, it seemed nice, but when getting close to the ground, it didnt looked really good (spikes and such). and the maps coordonates were hard to control (y values in the 90s-255s [huge difference]) I read the tutorial at nehe about loading 3d worlds (sectors in .txt files) I think I could also use common map format files (.bsp). Basically, im wondering which is the best way I could use based on my knowledge. I mean, is it worth the trouble to learn about more complex stuff to save time in the long run and get nicer looks or do more manual hard coded maps should be my best bet? Thanks for the advices in advance!
Advertisement
To avoid the nasty lookingness of the terrain when getting very close to the ground, you can do a few things:
1. Increase the texture size (duh).
2. Use multitexturing.
3. Place various objects such as grass, trees, roads, stains on the ground, etc.
Try using floating point height values instead of 8-bit greyscale values. Things will interpolate much more smoothly.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement