• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unidentified

2D Game Programming and C#

This topic is 5224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m just learning C# after looking through a few posts(I made a thread with another username when I forgot this one) and deciding on this, I have experience with C and C++, about a years experience including some with the SDL API. When I was using C++ I had a lot more to choose from when I decided to make some 2D games but I don''t know any for C#. Well aside from GDI+ which I heard is too slow for games(I want to make Sonic type platform games and space shooters). Then there is Managed DirectX9 which is a 3D API. HOw easy is it to do 2D with 3D and knwoing only up to geometry and some trig? I''d rather go with DirectX 9 but not sure if I know the necessary knowledge of math required. Are there any wrappers out there for C# like SDL? But I only want to do that if I can''t get through with 2D in 3D with DirectX 9. But what other choices do I have?

Advertisement
Purple# supports 2d. Take a look at the 2d and Gui tutorial.

Have fun
Bunnz
Purple#, a shader-driven game engine for .NET.

I looked at the SDL. Net thing a C# wrapper for SDL. Seems good but I can''t find any examples only screen shots on the website. As anyone even made a game with it? I can''t find anythign about 2D in Managed DX 9. But GDI+ seems to be a good choice but it''s too slow and I can''t find many game examples.

Well my only questions right now is, is there any other alternative aside these? What should I use to say make a Sonic or R-Type clone, is GDI+ enough to make it run smoothly, or how about Windows Form? All 2D wise though because of math reasons and I''d like to focus more on the game than the program and I heard 3D is a lot harder.

For absic 2D games, Windows GDI can work as long as performance isn''t an issue. However, if you were to make commercial games, you might want to consider something else, but for learning it should be fine. 3D is a little bit harder because you have to deal with more theory, and you have to learn a lot mroe, especially if you want to make a game, as you will probably have to learn 3D models. Managed DirectX 9 can support 2D I believe, but I have never used C#. I''d say DirectX is the way to go here, because you can''t go wrong with relying on Microsoft for Windows development.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@NOSPAM.comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

Not sure if I should make a topic in the directX forums or just post my questions here about 2D in Managed Direct3D, I already searched for it on these forums and it seems it would be better to go with D3D. It's supposed to be easier and faster. But the problem with 3D as I posted alreayd is that I only have a basic knowledge of Trig, I know algebra, geometry, etc... And I don't really know what linear algebra is and I heard that's the most important thing.

What do C# programmers use to program 2D games here?

[edited by - Unidentified on June 3, 2004 3:34:41 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!