• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grbrg

Anyone remember Cannonfodder?

This topic is 5215 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Cannonfodder is an old action game , played from a slightly isometric view. The player would steer his men through a map and success was was defined as how many kills you got and how many of your men survived. There were small tasks to fulfill (destroy all buildings, defend a village...) and a couple of weapons. Despite (or because) its simplistic gameplay it was quite fun to play. Could such a seemingly simplistic game be successful nowadays? Would customers accept an isometric view in an action game? What could be added to make the game appear modern and new (other things than the usual FPS stuff)? And, can you even remember the game? ------------------------------ There are only 10 kinds of people: those that understand binary and those that don''t. Bad Entertainment

Advertisement
Yep, i remember CannonFodder, mouse control only, it was trully adictive...

Ya, i still think that there is a market nowadays for this type of game, just dont charge $50 for it...

There is allways a market for fun, addictive games, even if they''re just clones/remakes... but now that Microsoft has patented the double-click how will we make our games? lol

Salsa cooked it, your eyes eat it!
[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][My DevDiary]
[Yann L.][Enginuity] [Penny Arcade] [MSDN][VS RoadMap][Humus][BSPs][UGP][NeHe]
"our stupidity allways comes back to bite us in the ass... in a white-shark sort of way..." - Prozak

CannonFodder, yes i remember,used to play it on my snes.

I don''t think you need to focus on the isometric view, look at Worms or Gauntlet... Did the 3D been good to them ?
The fun factor makes the 2D/3D/iso thing irrelevant. An FPS will never be a 2D or isometric by essence, some games like tetris where very hard when passed to 3D.

If your game is based on easy strategy, hazard and the player choices (thinking of advanced wars on GBA), it can lack the 3D. Cannonfodder in 3D would be a mess and less less fun.

Guest Anonymous Poster
That was a GREAT game, simple but so GREAT !!

WAR, never been so much fun.
WAR, never been sooo much fun.

Don''t you worry, kill ''im with ya gun,
He''ll be lyin in his uniform dying in the sun.
WAR!

Do I remember Cannon Fodder? I''ll never forget that bad boy. Many happy memories of a game that oozed class, humour and polish. If you wanted to do some sort of a similar title but appeal to those god-forsaken no-brainers we refer to as ''the masses'' I''d suggest replacing the sprites with models. Or maybe even go for a Ragnarok Online style and use sprites in a 3d world. Obviously you''d have to maintain that cute, yet funny style but it could be done.

D-d-don''t you worry, don''t you worry.
Kill ''im with ya gun.

quote:
Original post by realitycheck
If your game is based on easy strategy, hazard and the player choices (thinking of advanced wars on GBA), it can lack the 3D. Cannonfodder in 3D would be a mess and less less fun.

If by 3D you mean first person, then I agree. But why would it hurt if the game used a top-view on a 3D-world?

What do you think must be improved from the old game to make it modern? Should the controls be kept? What about weapons, and gameplay in general?

I''ve never played Advanced Wars, could you sum it up?

------------------------------
There are only 10 kinds of people: those that understand binary and those that don''t.

Bad Entertainment

WAR!
has never been so much fun.

WAR!
never been SO much fun!

go to your brother!
kill him with your gun!
leave him lying in his uniform
dying in the sun.

WAR!

one aspect of the game was how long could you keep JOPS and the other first guy alive?

[edited by - kindfluffysteve on June 3, 2004 3:55:45 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!