• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trust

[java] Some questions attented for the java mobile games developers

This topic is 5280 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all fellows developers ! I''m currently doing a market research about mobile games in java as part of a business course. I''m mainly a java developer and i need your help (especially help from j2me developers) to answer some questions. It would be great to illustrate my report ) Have you already a finished game ? Would you be interested to publish one of your games on a specialized site which allows anybody to download it for some money? At the beginning, does it seem ok for you if a royalty of 0.50$ per game sold is sent to you ? Thank you very much for helping me !

Advertisement
I''m a J2ME developer.

Yes I have a finished game. It is right now undergoing serious graphic changes by various skilled artist and animators. (Among others, people that normally animate for disney)

The game WILL be sold, albeit not on only one site. Unless the site can guarantee direct access to the whole world as market, it would be unattractive.

The royalty share is completely unacceptable! Nowdays royalty prices are LOW, but then still the developers get 25% of the total revenue. (Operator-Publisher split 50-50, then the latter splits 50-50 with the developer, thus the developer getting 25%).

Now, assume that the game is in the mid-price range and it costs 3$, the normal developer would get 0.75$ This is of course if the game is mid-price. Nowdays games go up to 5-6 $, which gives the developer up to 1.5$ per game.

Also, check out handango.com, they give you 70% of the revenue if you are selling through their site. So, this site you explained seems pretty similar, although it gives much less money of course.

Plus:
Unless you''re backed by a big-name publisher that can hype your game up, it''s much better dealing directly with network operators to ensure good placement in their portals.

shmoove

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!