• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice Coder

Building a bot

This topic is 5275 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like for you to review my plan to build a probabilistic bot. Details below. --------------------------------------------------------------- First we have two variables, the defenceco and attackco. They are how heighly the bot considers defending and attacking. The defenceco variable would be affected by the remaining health (and armer) of the bot. The attackco would be affected by the remaining ammunition, and weponary of the bot. The bot would make its decisions based on tokens, things like [aiming30] or [wall10] or [enemy20]. Those affect each of the probabilities of the output actions, like [enemy20] would increase the probability of [move20] or [Rsidestep]. It also has a small rule base, such as if [enemy20] and [aiming20] then fireprop = fireprop * 2 or if [safe20] and [enemy100] then mleftprop = mleftprop * 6 The rulebase would only allow each rule to be fired once. once the rulebase is finished looping, the probabilities of each action (sidestepping, firing, moving forwards/backwards, ect) are assessed and a proportional random number generator is used to select the action. to calculate the final probability, you use the formula:
frob = oprob * (attackco * aatk) * (defco * deftk)

Where frob = Final probability, oprob = old probability, aatk = the how "attacking" this move is, and deftk = how "defending" this move is.
Is this idea a good one? Please comment!

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Well, this looks like the fuzzy logic in Quake III bots. You should check the paper by van Waveren.

http://www.kbs.twi.tudelft.nl/Publications/MSc/2001-VanWaveren-MSc.html

I can get the abstract, nothing more... (The PDF has a broken link).

It doesn''t seem all that similar, because those have states; my bots do not. (if you run at them, most of the time they will fire at you, but they may run away, or aim the wrong way, or sidestep).

DENC

''Is this idea a good one''?

Does it work the way you want it to? If so, then it''s a good idea! Could it be better? That depends on many factors, including whether or not this method works currently!

Timkin

i''m trying to add a Quake3-style bot in my engine but i have a problem: assuming that i can Quake3 maps (where we can have planes that laid one upon the other), how can i manage pathfinding?

I would think it would be human-like, but i was wondering if anybody else had better ideas on how to build bots.
DENC

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!