• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Etnu

Making better use out of texturing parameters.

This topic is 5281 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was getting a little sick of having textured ground that really didn''t have any "texture" to it, and I figured that displacement mapping wasn''t really an option at present. Then I stopped and said "hey, wait a second". I''m already using texture weights for blending purposes; why not use those same weights to do a little surface displacement as well? I''ve been tweaking the results for a while now, and I finally achieved a definite improvement in the overall appearance of the ground: I weight the textures in the vertex shader; if the shader determines that a particular vertex will use the rock texture (through a noise filter), it also displaces the vertex by 1/2 a unit in the y direction (up for rocks, down for dirt). The end result is that, instead of just having pieces of rock texture showing through the ground, you have actual rocks sticking out. It''s an easy way to add extra detail geometry to the ground without actually drawing small rock meshes. Collision detection isn''t an issue, because the coordinates aren''t displaced enough to have any impact in that regard.

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!