• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EverIce

Pipelines and VCard caps

This topic is 5227 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recent video card has multiple pipelines. If there are more is better. But how to use them fully ? If a card has 8 pipeline, can i use them directly? Or drivers do this job ? Gladly, vendors don''t give information about the shader versions. If i ask the guy who sell it about the shaders, he look me idiot. Any link where to look for recent cards caps ? Thanks to read at all.

Advertisement
I''m assuming you''re referring to texture units. No, you can''t touch those directly (nor can I see any reason why you''d want to).

The entire pipeline (both vertex & pixel processing) in modern video cards is programmable, using shaders.

As far as the caps go...you can check the manufacturer''s website, or look on the side of the box. Retail people probably look at you like you''re an idiot because they have no clue what a "shader" is.

this something that is dependant on the hardware and the drivers and you have no hand in this. You can just see the results which is the peroformance of the card.
I just want to say something,the more is not always the better.sometimes a company may decrease the no of pipelines and increase the frequency of the GPU or the memory or both as what ATI did in the 9600, they decreased the number of vertex and pipelines and increased the GPU frequency than the 9500.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!