A grayscale game?

Started by
14 comments, last by Black Emperor 19 years, 10 months ago
Has anyone ever thought of a game in grayscale? I mean not console-based games or very old ones, rather a game in a 50s sci-fi setting using todays graphic engines, but monochromatic. The only genre I could think of would be FPS and Adventures, possibly space-flight sims. I''m very fond of black/white 50s movies. Some of them were really great, even by todays standards. ''Space Patrol'' (Raumpatrollie Orion), a german sci-fi mini-series, is a very good example of this. If you ever come across ''Starship Troopers'' on DVD or CD and your player supports it, try watching it in grayscale mode. It is really interesting how it can change the ''style'' of a film. What do you think about it? It was just a thought and I just don''t know if it''s good or not. Has anyone done something like this before? Would you like it? Sorry for bad english, but I hope you get the point.
Advertisement
This is a very unique idea. Most games blast graphics and colors at you. I could see a grayscale game. =)

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

lol,

I was thinking about the same, but then for a WWII FPS. Just like Schindlers List, it changes the ''feeling''
Slurcko Durcko Duck!
That could be quite fun. That reminds me of the "Bride Of Chaotica" episode of Star Trek Voyager in which they have a black and white holodeck program to play the Flash Gordon-like adventures of Captain Proton.
Now black and white requires very good lighting to look good, so that''s going to be the hard part.
Stick Soldiers?
There are a couple of Half-life mods in Grayscale and sepia tones. Don''t know much about them, but they shouldn''t be hard to find.

ld
No Excuses
I made a four-shade gray-scale game once, with 64 by 64 resolution. It was a while ago, in QBasic. I wanted to see if I could make a game with more limitations than the GameBoy.

[edited by - thedevdan on June 3, 2004 1:23:41 PM]
Not giving is not stealing.
Thanks for the feedback.

@liquiddark:
Thank''s for the hint, I''d really like that kind of mod. Havn''t found anything like it yet, but I havn''t searched that much yet, either.

@Codexus:
Now that you mention it, ''Captain Proton'' comes close to what''s spooking my mind right now. I never liked VOY, but those few black and white holodeck episodes were great.
You''re right, lightning and would be extremly hard to do. Maybe addig some VERY light colors for some effects?

@Diodor:
No, not stick soldiers; rather 8bit grayscale, than 1bit black OR white.

@boontje:
Thought about ''Schindler''s List'', too. But I''d be careful with a WWII FPS in black and white. Could have a ''documentary-realism-effect''. Most footage you see from that era is b/w and if you''re to make a FPS b/w, it would surely give me the creeps...

I''ll think something up, make some models, maybe do a concept level for an FPS. I''d like to see what it looks like...
A tool for manipulating your VGA Output would be a nice idea...
Hmm.. one problem I can see is that it won''t quite feel natural.. especially if everything else in the graphic scheme is high quality. The problem, I suppose, is that WWII didn''t happen in b&w.. and things might look more cluttered and difficult to seperate if the lighting and such isn''t quite right. But you know what I think would look freakin'' cool? I think that it''d be cool if you put cut-scenes and other scenes not under the player''s control in black and white, and then fade into color as the player gains control. That would give the game that nostalgia feel while allowing the player an excellent simulation with unhindered visuals.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Yeah, there''s one for the Cube Engine,

http://www.deathillustrated.com/

Its pretty much a generic Quake 1 style high-speed combat game.
-- Single player is masturbation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement