• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rherm23

pong tutorial?????

This topic is 5279 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am looking for a pong tutorial i have tried googling but i havent found anything like i want. i was hoping to find something w/ a good deal of comments. The more comments=the faster i will grasp it. if anyone can help me find a tutorial that would be great! thanx

Advertisement
It would help if you provided us your experience level, what language you are using, and what libraries you prefer it to utilize.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@NOSPAM.comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

sorry i am using c++ and i am still learning the finer points this would be my first game. i learned mostly through tutorials online and the ones that explained damn near every line w/ comments allowed me to better grasp what the code meant. as for libraries im all ears on any advice you think i shopuld implore.

thanx

In my pong program the only include''s I used were to conio.h (to change the console colors and reset the conole cursor to the top left to redraw for the next frame) , math.h, vector and string.h way back when. This is just my half-assed way of doing it, but I loaded all the characters to be displayed onto the screen into a vector of strings, where each element represented a line, and then printed them out, reset the cursor position and repeated. Not much help but whatever, I had to look at sites in french/portuguese (neither languages do I speak) to find the code to do some of those things because there''s a real lack of info on it.

Look into sdl it should be simple enough to get started with it. You might also want to take a look at this site gametutorials their tutorials are source code so it might be what you are looking for...IMHO you should stick to sdl, you can use it in the future to make 3d applications/games if you want as well and its cross-platform so that's a plus. It shouldn't be too hard to write a small pong game yourself once you know a little about the library.

[edited by - JohnyB on June 3, 2004 3:29:23 PM]

Hi rherm23,

We had a big discussion / tutorial on our forum on how to do this. The forum was reloaded and thousands of messages got lost though Anyhow if you like, pop on over to the new one and we will try and run through it again. That is if you are still interested :D www.NeuronGames.com, I can't remember the exact URL for the forum. Just click forums.

Sincerely,
Randy Trulson
www.GamePotato.com
www.NeuronGames.com

[edited by - Randy of Neuron on June 3, 2004 3:59:52 PM]

i have one more problem i just downloaded a new compiler (bloodshed) and i keep getting this message about iostream backward whenever i use i got around this before with "std" but i dont wanna keep doing that because the tutorials and code i keep looking at dont use this format. is there a way i can make the header work its frustrating.

thanx

Pong Tutorial.
Make 2 paddles.
Make a ball.
If ball touches paddle.
Ball moves in opposite direction.
If user hits key.
Move paddle.
return;

[edited by - rebelcoder on June 3, 2004 10:26:11 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!