C++ book, suggestions

Started by
5 comments, last by edudlive 19 years, 10 months ago
I''m a programming newbie in all senses, the only thing even REMOTELY like programming that I´ve done is a lot of work in Linux (my main OS). I´m looking for a very large detailed book, and preferably one with chapter quizes or something...to check myself. Anyone got a suggestion?
Advertisement
I used two books to learn C++.

First, the light and easy-going book (if you have no knowledge of C or C++ at all) was "C++ for Dummies." It was very cute.

To get a good grip on C++, I read "The Complete C++ Reference Guide" by Schildt, one of the guys who was part of setting the rules down as to what Standard C would be. It''s *very* thorough and appropriately hardcore. I had to read the book twice - slowly - before I felt comfortable with the language. (Again, it''s a *reference* book. It sounds like a lesson but has no practice exercises. I had to come up with practice on my own.)

There are lots of tutorials online, through this site and others, that can help you out too. And, of course, the people on this site love to answer questions. =)
I rather like Deitel and Deitel''s "C++ How to Program". It was my college text, which I have sitting on my desk (I should get a new one, though, poor thing.) It''s the book I have that covers the most basic C/C++ programming concepts in a very thorough way, and it does have quizzes/homework problems at the end of each section.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
anymore suggestions?
Stay away from Schildt. He''s not liked at all by the C++ crowd.

I''d recommend Stroustrup''s book and Essential C++ by Stanley B. Lippman.
These two books are often recommended for being good for new c++ programmers and they conform well to current C++ standards:

1. Accelerated C++
  2. C++ Primer

Well, R2D22U2..
Schildt''s Complete Reference works well for me as a reference.
Strousup''s C++ book seems good; I want it.

For learning, I like Jesse Liberty''s Learn C++ in 21 Days. Its well written and large.

~V'lionBugle4d

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement