Programming Vehicle Simulation

Started by
5 comments, last by chadz001 19 years, 10 months ago
I have recently started programming a ''game'' that involves a vehicle over some terrain. I''ve got it moving around on a flat terrain, but obviously I want to create an uneven landscape. I''m planning on having a height map, so I want to use that in some way to determine the height of the vehicle, and the pitch and roll of the vehicle. I''m basically after somewhere to start. I like getting books, and making sure I understand as best as possible what i''m writing, so if there are any books that anyone thinks would help, that would be great. But also and tutorials on the net, any general advice, or actual algorithms for this would be great. I imagine there are a great many ways to do this, so perhaps that''s why i''m finding it hard to track anything down. Really, I could do with someone who has programmed such a thing to give me help. ANY help is appreciated, Thank you
Advertisement
Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus by Andre LaMothe would be perfect. It even has the source code and a driving simulation with a jeep and uneven terrain. This sounds exactly like what you are trying to do.

Sincerely,
Randy Trulson
www.GamePotato.com
www.NeuronGames.com
Sincerely,Randy Trulsonwww.NeuronGames.com
simply align your vehicle with the tangent line of the path of the landscape your vehicle is on
I eat heart attacks
just do some measurement of your terrain jeep proportion and use the laws of physics

e.g.: speed *kinetic energy* gravity *Massenträgheit(in english?)* ....
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
That book (Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus) seems to have been given good reviews, but it seems to imply that it is a book for learning DirectX. I''ve already gone through a book to get me the basics of that.

But if you are right that one of the examples is for a jeep on terrain, that would be a great help.

But what about his other book:

''Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus: Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization''

This seems to cover 3D programming stuff, including engines.

How good is this example of a driving simulation? Can you tell me more?

I don''t want to buy it and find out it''s of no use.

I am still open to oher suggestions, if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks
you can always use a physics engine for that sort of stuff. ODE, or tokamak seem the obvious choices. they have examples of vehicles on a terrain.

Everything is better with Metal.

quote:Original post by Basiror
e.g.: speed *kinetic energy* gravity *Massenträgheit(in english?)* ....

I believe Inertia is what you''re reffering to.

-Luctus
..I''m also moronophobic
[Mail]
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement