• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sagar_Indurkhya

Point in a Triangle

This topic is 5280 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to quickly and efficiently determine if a point is within a triangle. I have already tried using a system of equations for the three sides, and it gets messy. Any help is appreciated. Sagar Indurkhya

Advertisement
The way i did it isn't really fast (i think) but it's one way to do it:

- get the normals from each vertex to the point
- if the magnitude of the sum of the normals(or it's square) is larger than one it's not on the triangle, if it's 1.0 it's on the edge.

This only works correctly if you know for sure that the point is on the triangle's plane.

Again, this might not be the fastest solution out there, it's one for sure.

EDIT: magnitude of the sum of the normals instead of just magnitude

[edited by - Tree Penguin on June 3, 2004 4:05:00 PM]

The triangle has 3 points in CCW and we must check if a point B is inside it (we already checked if its in same plane)
if ((3-1)dot(2-1)<(B-1)dot(2-1) && (3-2)dot(1-2)>(B-2)dot(1-2))
then its inside
else its not inside

i hope it works... :/

[edited by - ygor_freire on June 3, 2004 5:24:37 PM]

The best way to calculate if a point is in a triangle (or even a polygon) is to calculate the angle between your point and the points of the triangle (or polygon) and add them all up.

If the sum of the angles is larger or equal to 2*PI (or 360 degrees), then the point is inside the triangle (or polygon, won''t say it again ;P).

The way to calculate the angle between to vectors is to use the Dot product:

float dotProduct = Dot(Vector1, Vector2);
float vectorsLength = Length(Vector1) * Length(Vector2);

double angle = acos( dotProduct / vectorsMagnitude );

quote:

The best way to calculate if a point is in a triangle (or even a polygon) is to calculate the angle between your point and the points of the triangle (or polygon) and add them all up.

Sorry, but I think that is a terrible way. Do a search for barycentric coordinates. Can''t beat it, IMHO.

quote:
Original post by raydog
Sorry, but I think that is a terrible way. Do a search for barycentric coordinates. Can''t beat it, IMHO.

Ok, your right, but it works for me for now...

This topic is 5280 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.