Thread Deletion

Started by
22 comments, last by Xai 19 years, 10 months ago
A few questions, and maybe complaints and suggestions. Do threads get deleted or simply closed? If threads are ever deleted, how would I find out if that has happened? I posted to a thread yesterday and today, and now it is not on my lists anymore? First I dug deeper looking, then thought I was going crazy, then got really upset that my posts have been destroyed, then realized that maybe they haven''t? It was a simple thread about C++ OOP constructs and their costs, and I have no idea which forum it was in or what it''s title was - but I posted to it today for sure. Please contact me or respond about it here. If it HAS been deleted, I would make the suggestion that such things should not happen ... period. The post was not a flame war (or not comletely) and had no inappropriate content in it, so I cannot understand why it would be killed. Please help, cause I really want my posts back.
Advertisement
The topic was called invalid redirection (c++) in the General Programming section. If you run into this problem again, just click on your profile and find the "Recent Replies" section. You may have to drop down several pages. Then click on whichever topic you need to find you''re post. By the way, these go away on the Recent Replies, after a short time. I think about two weeks.
Hope this helps!
I wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself.
thanks for that, but that''s not the thread i want ...

I use the RecentReplies every time I visit GameDev, to track responses and keep up with my conversations .. but one thread I posted to TWICE is not on my list anymore, not even ONCE .. and I can''t find it using search or anything ...

In it, the OP had asked if the standard OO constructs of classes and member functions had any run-time cost compared to not using classes in C ... many posters posted useless drivel about why their system was best, but few answered the OP .. I however did (along with one other I recall), and then he thanked us, and asked another question ... then I responded, and an hour later I came back to see if anything had happened, and the thread has now vanished ... completely without a trace to me.
Maybe you have just been smoking something funny... hehe
I''m guessing that the OP deleted it. It doesn''t sound like something a moderator would delete (we prefer to close threads anyway unless they''re total crap).

And before anyone mentions it, in the new forums, the OP won''t be able to delete a thread once other people have replied to it.
IIRC, threads are never really deleted anyway, but are moved to a private "Deleted Threads" forum. I suppose it makes for good study material for mods, as well as evidence.

Is this the case when the poster deletes the thread?
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
I once posted something that got deleted from everything - including my Recent Threads list. That was understandable, though, considering what I posted. It good be that its sitting in "Deleted Threads" somewhere.

Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)
Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
No, we actually delete some threads, as in, they''re purged from the database. Threads moved to Deleted Threads are so that the staff and moderators can review them, or perhaps to keep them as evidence.
I''m pretty sure the thread in question was a C vs. C++ thread that sprouted in the NeHe forum. I can''t find it all, so I''m assuming the original poster deleted it. I was following it loosely, and I can''t imagine any mod deleting it.
ok, its sounding more and more like a simple mistake on a moderators part ...

thanks for the help everyone.

P.S. It would be nice if it took a second moderator to approve a delete or something, so that this kinda mistake would be much harder to make. But since the forums code might be tricky to add that to, from one programmer to another, I''ll understand if it never happens .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement