• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mulligan

Visual Basic Runtime error 438

This topic is 5284 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This morning, someone asked me why calling a specific method on a specific object caused the runtime error 438 ("Object does not support this property or method"). They emailed me the code and it works fine on my machine. The object in question causing the error is a COM object, but we both have the same verson of the dll being used. From some google research, this error is cause for many headaches and no one can exactly define WHAT it means. Anyway, if anyone knows of a way to fix it, i''d like to know.

Advertisement
Its like calling

FSO.ReadBinary ("c:\blah.bin")

The FSO has no such method (ReadBinary), the same applies to propertys (vars you can set/get similar to public dims).

If you post the line that is causing the problem and the DLL you are using, then I''m sure someone will point out the problem. As it works on your machine I''m inclined to think that despite your friends assurances, he or she is using an older version (XML parser maybe?).

You could use the packager from VS to add your version of the DLL into an installable msi along with the program, thus eliminating any uncertanty.

Jay

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!