• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

captivated

Game Engine design

This topic is 5279 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just a quick question, for those of you who have designed your own game engine... Did you make it web capable? Also, what programming language did you use? We are looking around but have come up empty handed with the game engine side. The main developer is planning to use blender but blender doesn''t have the web plugin now so he is having to code it himself. Also, have any of you guys put your own engine on the market? Thanks for answering even though I am a newbie to the forums.... Crystal

Advertisement
When making my own engines, I basically use C or C++, and with a dash of Assembly language for stuff not already supported by some API.

As far as web pluggins, it is a good idea to build your engine to run off the grid, then make a plugin that will allow it to be web capable and compile that in if you need / want it for that game.

Hope this helps you out.

Sincerely,
Randy Trulson
www.GamePotato.com
www.NeuronGames.com

quote:
Just a quick question, for those of you who have designed your own game engine... Did you make it web capable?

Wtf do you mean by web cabable? I can think of at least 3 interpretations:

1. multiplayer/mmo game
2. highscores maintained by a highscore server over the internet
3. play the game on a web browser.

Plus, iirc the blender game engine was removed from the current distribution and is being reworked?

Please clarify, I''m losing brain cells here....

MMO game. Thanks Randy for the reply. I think he wants to start small(not mmo) and then build up to it but I am not sure if that is the way to go. I mean, I understand the amount of time needed to develope your own engine, etc.. but I am wondering if it would be worth it. I think he wants to develope using pre-rendered images and such. Thats great and all its just my game story would severly be affected in that case. It really should be a first person and MMO. I think one of the problems everyone is having is that we do not have that great of a 3d graphics artist. Therefore, he is thinking he might have to do alot of the graphics work also, hence the starting small and such. What I am getting at is this....:0) Is it better to take the time to do it right- (IE.not publish any of the game) or is it better to do it pre-rendered with a third person slant and publish it. Then keep going... Sorry if this was confusing and thanks again for the repliesCrystal

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
I think one of the problems everyone is having is that we do not have that great of a 3d graphics artist. Therefore, he is thinking he might have to do alot of the graphics work also, hence the starting small and such. What I am getting at is this....:0) Is it better to take the time to do it right- (IE.not publish any of the game) or is it better to do it pre-rendered with a third person slant and publish it.

Your the writer? What do you care? Go write something.

Already did.... However, I will also be deeply involved in the programming and graphics portion of the project. I want to use 3ds max... he wants to use blender(graphics). Can you tell we have issues The thing is this..I really don''t care about using 3ds max if we are just going to pre-render AND have it be a third person game. If it is going to be the way he is talking, really blender is fine. I am not diversed in it so I wouldn''t be doing that much in that case. By the way Randy, I enjoyed Fledgling. Very cute. What graphics program did you use?Crystal

quote:
Original post by captivated
Already did.... However, I will also be deeply involved in the programming and graphics portion of the project. I want to use 3ds max... he wants to use blender(graphics). Can you tell we have issues The thing is this..I really don''t care about using 3ds max if we are just going to pre-render AND have it be a third person game. If it is going to be the way he is talking, really blender is fine. I am not diversed in it so I wouldn''t be doing that much in that case. By the way Randy, I enjoyed Fledgling. Very cute. What graphics program did you use?Crystal

You guys can use different graphics programs, as long as you export to the same model format...

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
However, I will also be deeply involved in the programming and graphics portion of the project.

So, your the writer. Your friend is the engine programmer. You will help with the programming and graphics, but only if your friend uses 3dsmax. He''s wants to use the blender game engine, but its not ''web capable''. You don''t know what a model format is. You''re making a mmorpg. Good luck.

quote:
I think he wants to develope using pre-rendered images and such. Thats great and all its just my game story would severly be affected in that case.

This thread has got to take the "Starry eyed dreamer newbie" award.

You get the biggest ass who cant spell award. Feel better about yourself?

what we do in life, echoes in eternity

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!