• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pizza box

"Thinking in C++" Exercises

This topic is 5223 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just curious if anyone has or is going through Bruce Eckel''s online book "Thinking in C++ Vol.1" (http://www.bruceeckel.com) and doing the exercises for each chapter. They are a great way to get used to the language as well as some programming methods in general. But some of the problems I have a bit of trouble with, and rather than post each question I have on the boards, it might be easier to talk with someone who is working on the same thing. I''d recommend the book to anyone who wants to learn C++ and its free to download (and legal). Thanks for your time! Adam Sheehan

Advertisement
If you understand the concepts then usually having a problem with one thing or another isn''t a big deal. However, if you can''t do ANY of the problems in a chapter then you probably don''t understand whats going on. I used to be anal about doing every excercise in the book I''m reading but now I realized it''s pretty much a waste of time trying to make 5-10 console programs about things such as stocks that really have no use in the real world. Try to do a few from each just to make sure what you''re doing, but don''t worry about doing all of them.

You make a good point, but I try to do most of them just for repetition. I ask because if someone else is working on the same thing, it would be beneficial to compare methods and discover alternate solutions. Also, there is the additional motivation to finish the book if someone else is depending on you.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!