• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prozak

OcTrees Learning Resources

This topic is 5204 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I think that i''ve learned what BSP Trees have to offer, I even took Game Institute''s famous tutorial on the subject... Now it seems that BSPs are outdated, and the way to go is OcTrees. I am about to insert some sort of occlusion culling algorithm, so, I gotta take this decision now... Yann says:
quote:
You can still use portals, even with octtrees. You can''t use PVS anymore, but that''s no real problem, if your portal system is good. You could also throw in some occlusion culling, which renders even the portal system obsolete.
Where can I find OcTree teaching material (paying/non-paying) that will explain the above points? Thanks for any pointers on this... Salsa cooked it, your eyes eat it!
[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][My DevDiary]
[Yann L.][Enginuity] [Penny Arcade] [MSDN][VS RoadMap][Humus][BSPs][UGP][NeHe]
"our stupidity allways comes back to bite us in the ass... in a white-shark sort of way..." - Prozak

Advertisement
There are articles on octree construction, loose octrees, and simple occlusion culling in Game Programming Gems I. There may be some tutorials over on flipcode.com, but I can't remember.

Other than that, google is your friend :)

I have written in the past an octree class , i might help
with explanations and or code fragments , just ask , talking about occlusion culling, i am (re)working about it, how do you plan to add it ? i have found that the major bottleneck is computing vertex transformation, but now i have another idea i would like to work about.

I just read a bit about loose octrees here. It seems to me that this kind of structure would be good for scenes with lots of uniformly distributed small objects at the smallest levels and fewer bigger objects higher up in the tree. Does anyone here have real experience with implementing such a thing?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!