• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Draktor

Which Tutorial Direct3D or DirectDraw

This topic is 5220 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Hi,

The tutorial on Direct3D is probably the better choice to make, because DirectDraw is now out of date, and Microsoft have stopped upgrading and supporting it. The only reason DirectDraw is still with DirectX is for backwards compatibility.

Direct3D or OpenGL (dont ask which is better), are the Graphics API''s that are mostly used now, and if you want to get experience on whats being used in the industry, youll probably want to learn either of those.

If you're completely new to games, I would reccomend (from personal experience) using DirectDraw7 to do a basic 2D game like a space shooter first. Why? Well, putting together a 2D game and a 3D game have a HUGE difference in terms of effort required to finish. In other words, don't bite off more than you can chew! You want to finish a game and see how the entire assembly works, getting a feel for the process. But, if you feel comfortable with programming 3D right from the start, go for it.

And a word about DirectDraw: yes, it is provided for backwards compatibility, but Direct3D also uses it for some other things it does. So it will probably always be there.

That's my two cents

[edited by - MajorShredd on June 3, 2004 8:27:34 PM]

I would recommend the tutorials on this site

the first 2 DX9 tutorials (the basics part 1 & 2) give you a very good start to create 2D (games) in DX9.

[edited by - da cobra on June 4, 2004 9:46:43 AM]

quote:
Original post by Ratterbox Direct3D or OpenGL (dont ask which is better), are the Graphics API''s that are mostly used now, and if you want to get experience on whats being used in the industry, youll probably want to learn either of those.

I''d say, both of them.

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- Google | Google for GameDev.net | GameDev.net''s DirectX FAQ. (not as cool as the Graphics and Theory FAQ)

Thanks everyone jsut one more question please, is it possible to do cel shaded graphics just using Directdraw?

thanks,
Draktor

Don''t get stars in your eyes, kid! Cel Shading is just a play on 3D graphics with some minor modifications. I doubt you could do cel shading with a strictly 2D engine. This may answer your question.

By the way, before you ask questions like that, I reccomend a google search or looking in the GameDev articles & resources section first. General, boiler-plate questions will sometimes get you rude responses on forums.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!