Custom struct in a stl map

Started by
5 comments, last by logout 19 years, 10 months ago
Okay I got this struct that I want to store as _Key in a stl map The problem is that once I try to use it I get a error that I have not defined the "<" operator or somthing.. Now I tryed to do this but I cant for the love of the light figure how to do this...

struct Ident
{
     BYTE  S_Size;
     DWORD S_Pos;
};

// now i want to do
std::map< Ident, StackInfo* >  m_SInfo;

//And use m_SInfo.find()
// But i cant since i havent defined someting or what..
// plz help me !

Advertisement
A map needs to be able to compare its key types. This is not true of its value types.

Therefore, it is necessary for one of the following to be true:

- Overload the operator < on your structs
- Implement a function object which compares them in the manner of less than, and pass that as a third parameter to the template.

There are also some rules on HOW you implement the less than function.

It''s not clear what purpose having S_Size and S_Pos as a key in your map has, so I will use an example from my own code, which uses a struct which stores two integers, x and y (coordinates in a map)

// Comparator for objects of type Positionstruct LtPosition {	bool operator()(const Position p1, const Position p2) const {		if (p1.x == p2.x)			return (p1.y < p2.y);		return p1.x < p2.x;	}};	typedef std::map<Position, Node *, LtPosition> AllNodesType;

In the above example, we are creating a map from Position structs (which have two integers, x and y), on to Node *, using the comparator LtPosition.

Mark

It requires < and I think == operator be defined. It is the same if you use hash map too. It might just be < operator though. It is needed for ordering. STL map uses a red-black tree.

An easy workaround if you want structs or objects as keys, is to use a pointer to the struct instead, since a pointer is simply a numeric address, and thus compares easily.
quote:Original post by leiavoia
An easy workaround if you want structs or objects as keys, is to use a pointer to the struct instead, since a pointer is simply a numeric address, and thus compares easily.

But ...

struct Ident IA = { 1, 2 };
struct Ident IB = { 1, 2 };
struct StackInfo * something;

m_SInfo[IA] = something; -> m_SInfo[IB] == something

m_SInfo[&IA] = something; -> m_SInfo[&IB] != something

... if understand it correctly - Im just learning to work with the stl myself.

[edited by - Ketzer on June 4, 2004 3:08:43 AM]
documentation
quote:Original post by Ketzer
quote:Original post by leiavoia

But ...

struct Ident IA = { 1, 2 };
struct Ident IB = { 1, 2 };
struct StackInfo * something;

m_SInfo[IA] = something; -> m_SInfo[IB] == something

m_SInfo[&IA] = something; -> m_SInfo[&IB] != something

... if understand it correctly - Im just learning to work with the stl myself.

This is true. Grokking object equality versus object identity is important for both C++ and Java programmers; but they need to grok it in slightly different ways

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement