• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MV

Polygon tesselation

This topic is 5225 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Here is my problem : given an original polygon defined by a serie of verteces, I would like to divide it into several child polygons (the number of childs being a parameter of the algorithm) allowing the adding of some extra verteces in the inside of the polygon without splitting the edges. There is something like this in the "Edit Mesh" modifier of 3dsmax called "tesselate", but in this one the number of childs is limited. I know this is an uncommon subject so I hope my explanation is clear...

Advertisement
It depends on what type of polygon you have. If every vetex can ''see'' every other vertex without edges getting in the way that is the easiest ie a pentagon. What are you wanting this for - at some point I plan to investigate with the idea of shattering a pane of glass from an impact etc?

d000hg, I dont understant what you meant...

To describe what I want this for will not be an easy thing, but I''ll give it a try : it''s for some terrain generation. I''ve done something to create a bumpy form from a shape defined by the user : the user selects the shape verteces (defining a convexe polygon) then a bumpy form (hill) is created automatically from this shape. Now what I want to do is to divide the original convexe polygon into any childs so that as many bumpy forms as specified are created inside the original polygon. Many some drawings could help understand

The original polygon
+---+
| |
| |
+---+

Divided in to 2 childs :
+-+-+
| | |
| | |
+-+-+

3 childs :
+-+-+
| | |
|/ \|
+---+

5 childs :
+--+--+
| | |
+-/ \-+
| \ / |
+--|--+

6 childs :

+---+---+
| /|\ |
+-+ | +-+
| \|/ |
+---+---+

Does this make sense ?

A) concave or convex polygons?
B) are there any requirements for the tessels, other than the total number? I.E., do they all have to be the same shape, the same surface area, etc.
C) What kind of pattern do they need to make? If it is glass shattering, then do the tessels have to all have a vertex at the point of shatter? Or can the polygon be broken into grid-wise pieces, like a Hershey''s chocolate bar?

capn_midnight | Captain Midnight | deviantArt
ACM | SIGGRAPH | Generation5

quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
A) concave or convex polygons?
B) are there any requirements for the tessels, other than the total number? I.E., do they all have to be the same shape, the same surface area, etc.
C) What kind of pattern do they need to make? If it is glass shattering, then do the tessels have to all have a vertex at the point of shatter? Or can the polygon be broken into grid-wise pieces, like a Hershey''s chocolate bar?

capn_midnight | Captain Midnight | deviantArt
ACM | SIGGRAPH | Generation5

A) preferably convex polygons would be better, but I''ve done a concave 2 convex algo, so it doesnt really matter
B) preferably the same surface area
C) I guess it depends of the number of tessels ; for a big number grid-wise pieces are ok.

Another constraint is that I preferably dont want the side edges to be divided.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!