• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NecroMage

Insane Point of View

This topic is 5220 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was thinking, would a first person game about an insane person work? It would be like this. You would play in first person and it would be a sort of Adventure RPG where you walk around and do things. However, occasionally, you would black-out and then the game would change. For a while, you''ll play in a totally different environment, with everything slightly lacking in color perhaps. The cool thing is that that would actually be your past, and whatever events you do impact what your doing in the present, but it''ll be all twisted and backwards. For example, if in the past you act normal and just do normal things, when you return and come out of your black out, you will see a brutally murdered (by you presumably) person in front of you, and perhaps bloody walls or something. Besides that, perhaps there will be other insanity indicators, for example maybe the walls could change, or part of the game world. You could even have an NPC that''s really part of your mind and doesn''t exist. The thing about this game is that it tends to shake people''s worlds sort of like The Matrix did

Advertisement
In Eternal Darkness character''s had a sanity meter, since they were dealing with monsters and obscure, scary stuff. The lower the metter was, the more probable the player would show his insanity by imaginating things. The way the game did it was hilarious, and every time the player imaginated one of those things, it was in a way that it affected the player too, but after one of those insanity flashes happened, the character would go back ''in time'' to where he was just before he imagined the stuff and scream something like ''this can''t be hapenning!''.

The flashes that the character had were things like, the character get''s into a dark hallway and enemies appeared all over the place. When you killed a few of the enemies the game would display ''controller error please unplug the control and plug it in again'' and the player would frenzy to the gamecube before his player got killed. Of course it was a illusion, and the character would go back just before the hallway, and when he goes throught it again nothing like that happens. Or the screen would rotate 45 degrees. Things like that, that affect the player as much as the character.

However most of the fun of it was that sometimes you were playing and you tought ''f*ck I died'' just to see it was a joke, and that actually made you smile or think wtf? that was cool. However after seeing all the illusions, you knew when it was an illusion and when not, so the fun was out, and it became boring.

I think it would be cool..

The Max Payne games had a few "Insane/drugged" levels in them and in Metal Gear Solid 2 the people Snake communicates with suddenly tries to make you stop playing the game and tells you/Snake that it''s only a game and not real. A short while later you get a game over screen, but you can continue playing.

Some effects. Probably not new, but still..

• Slow motion
  • Strobe movement/lag-look alike
  • When you enter a room the hallway behind you canges to something else. Portals are great for this.
  • Impossible architecture - one example: rooms with 2 doors - one "behind you" and one to the left. When you exit to the left 4 times you should end up in the room you began, but this may be a completely different room. Portals again.
  • "looping rooms" - a room with 2 doors, one behind you and one ahead. Through the door you see a figure that moves when you do. If you try to follow him he''ll match you step for step so you won''t catch him. Reason: The room you see through the door is the room you''re in. The man is you seen from behind. Portals again.
  • Weird FOV - Looks like you''re looking the wrong way through a binocular.
  • Doors that show one scene when you look through them. When you step through you end up somewhere else.
  • Imaginary monsters spawning right behind the player and tries to stay behind him.
  • NPCs turns into monsters (well.. the character thinks so anyway ). Great fun in multiplayer games. All the team members suddenly looks like enemies and it gets real hard to tell friend from foe . This should be done when the player looks away from the other player or NPC.
  • Black and white graphics, perhaps with blood in a brilliant and luminous red.

Grab a psychology or Call of Cthulhu book and read up on various mental disorders and try to figure out how they could be made in a game.
My favorite mental disorder: Ballistomania
Hysterical blindness or deafness would work ok I think..

From A grayscale game?
quote:
Original post by Extrarius
I think you''d have to use pixel shaders to make that kind of effect in OGL. I guess you could use paletted textures, but I''m not sure how to do that in OGL.

I think a paletted 3d game with sepia, some dark reds, and some dark blues based around a mental institution would be awesome. You could have interesting effects where things change as soon as they leave your FOV so when you look back its different (color or shape of non-essential gemotry), you could have ''ghosts'' (entities just outside your vision that are invisible but cast proper shadows until you get close), or maybe the lights flicker a little and when they hit pitch black for just that one microsecond you realize you''re in an entirely different area.

It could go a long way for atmosphere

Heh, so many funny ways of showing our character is insane :D

Screen rotation, esoteric colors, scary music + a fake ghost.. the posibilities are limitless

It sound like this game where you are a vampire, and when you get killed, you pass to the world of the dead where everything looks like in the real world but a little different, more creepy, and there are no living creatures but only gosths and demons, etc. I can''t recall the name of this game...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!