Bitmap rotation not usually supported?

Started by
3 comments, last by Woodsman 19 years, 10 months ago
I recall reading in TOTWGPG that while you can pass a rotation angle or such when blitting a bitmap in directdraw that this will only work if your hardware card supports it, which he went on to say is very rarely the case. Is that still true today? I''m wondering because I''m interested in making a small application in which many rotated images will be necessary. I''ve found that SDL doesn''t natively support this, though I''m looking at libraries, and I''m not sure that learning and setting up enough D3D simply to rotate textures in place of sprites is worth it.
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.
Advertisement
This is still true today, yes. DirectDraw support for rotation, scaling and alphablending were all pretty much still-born due to the fact that when the interfaces to support them were added, everyone was running to 3D. The vast majority of videocard manufactuers have never bothered putting in support at the driver level, except when using the 3D interfaces.

Doesn''t that just mean it''ll be software rendered instead? How big of a deal could that be in this case...
------------------------------NE1 HAV LABIS CAMON FRO TRD??
quote:Original post by Renze
Doesn''t that just mean it''ll be software rendered instead? How big of a deal could that be in this case...

Software rotation is still pretty costly. Besides, I dont think DDraw provides a HEL for rotation.
quote:Original post by DukeAtreides076
Besides, I dont think DDraw provides a HEL for rotation.

Yeah, because it''s so extremely costly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement