• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mux

Ysaneya - Spherical Terrain Rendering

This topic is 5223 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think this looks incredibly AWESOME. Anyone got some more info on it (will this ever be released? pleeeeeeeeease )? Couldn't reach Ysaneya by mail [edited by - mux on June 4, 2004 6:11:52 PM]

Advertisement
I have discussed a lot with him by mail. This is pretty old stuff from him as far as I know. But he plans to develop this techno much further later. He got inspired by my dynamic fractal thing based on height maps when I told him I had exponential progression of the camera height from 1m to 60km in my demo. And I also plan to extrapolate from huge and detailed landscapes to planet rendering one day.

The difficulty is merging the CLODs from spherical rendering to ground level rendering. Shortly said he comes from outer space, I come out of the grass (a frog ?)

Else about his mail, did you get his mail ? I suppose he will answer. I have seen him posting here this week. So it's unprobable he's on vacations.

[edited by - Charles B on June 5, 2004 5:34:45 AM]

Why couldn''t you reach me ? My email is public. Just log in to your gamedev account and click on my profile. An alternative address is also listed on the very same page you linked

Charles is right, that engine is around one year old now. I''ve been working on an improved version, to fix some issues i encountered with the old one. In particular there was some accuracy issues with floating point arithmetic (there was a discussion with CGameProgrammer a few months ago), i was not very happy with the geomorphing (done on the CPU) and the texturing (done per vertex weights, ie. texture splatting). While talking to Charles i also thought about switching to the Diamond-Square algorithm instead of 3D Perlin Noise, which caused me some severe performance problems. In that old version performance is "okay" on decent systems (around 60 fps on these screenshots on my home computer: P4 2Ghz + Radeon 9700) but unacceptable on cards like Geforce3/4 (like 20 fps). And that''s without vegetation or clouds.

Unfortunately i''ve been involved in quite a few projects since this last year, so progress on this planet engine is slow (but not stopped). Recently i''ve been working more on astrophysics and universe generation than the planet itself.

Y.

Thanks for your answer! Good to hear you''re still working on it, it just looks toooo great ! About the mail, well it was my ISP''s fault, so sorry for harrassing you via the forum

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!