Visual C++ 6 versus C++.NET

Started by
16 comments, last by Mastadex 19 years, 10 months ago
There is pretty much one thing that makes me want to spit with .NET...

If I have a group of functions like so...

void SOUND_play(void)
void SOUND_stop(void)
void SOUND_load(void)
void SOUND_delete(void)

...I would only have to type in "SOUND" in the members bar and only the functions begining with the name "SOUND" will be listed in the drag-down menu. But in .NET - you can only press "S" and it will goto the first function that begins with "S"....as soon as I press "O" - it goes to the first function under "O". How bloody annoying...

...if anyone knows a remedy to this blasphemy - I''m all ears!

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Advertisement
It depends on your project. I was on the phone with the boys from Havok and I asked them this very question.. They said that both work well, however vc 6 really gets confused on bigger projects, and that .net handles those larger projects a lot more efficients and better..
But, we are talking about big projects probably over 300 or 400 mb''s ..
OK so im hearing alot of good stuff about VC++.NET and im considering porting my current projects to it. I got one question left, is the compiled code fast enough for larger projects. I mena, i have this one part of code that creates a checksum for a file and it runs REALLY fast with VC++, will there be any performance loss due to the .NET framework thats also loaded with the program?
VC++.Net doesn''t have to be compiled with managed extensions, this means that you can compile programs into native machine code and they don''t use the .Net framework. You''ll probably see a performance gain actually as the C++ that comes with VS.Net is a better optimizer than the one that comes with VS 6.
Actually, you would NOT be extremely hard pressed at all to find someone who prefers VC6 over 7/.Net...the DirectXDEV list that the microsoft DirectX team runs is full of them actually...the problem is that VC7''s debugging sucks because you can''t do it in runtime...VC7 takes FAR too much memory for the average computer to run it AND a game at the same time so you can handle debugging while watching the current results.
My company uses VC6 and then runs final compiles with the VC7 free compiler now for this very reason.

Direct
David Clifton
I wonder if many naming it ".NET" instead of "7.0" was a bad decision, because it seems to get so many people to think they MUST use .NET Framework and C# or managed code; so they stay with the (in my opinion) inferior IDE and less standards-compliant compiler of 6.0.

Get VS .NET, it''s sexy.

quote:
the problem is that VC7''s debugging sucks because you can''t do it in runtime...VC7 takes FAR too much memory for the average computer to run it AND a game at the same time so you can handle debugging while watching the current results.

Whaaaaaat? Can you elaborate on that at all, some statistics or something? I do about half of my development on an Averatec 3100P laptop with somethinglike 256MB of RAM (with a 32MB shared S3 graphics card that sucks) and I''ve never ran into any inability to debug "in runtime." I have my game, which uses a lot of hardware shaders which must be emulated in software on this machine, running in the debugger as we speak and (though I realize this is a poor metric), the Task Manager says the game is using 30MB of memory, and devenv and some processes I think might be its children are only using another 30MB.
If it takes up mroe resources that might make my programs run slower on computers whos memory bus is minimal. So performance wise and optimization wise VC.NET is better then VC6?
quote:

VC7 takes FAR too much memory for the average computer to run it AND a game at the same time so you can handle debugging while watching the current results.

If you''re a developer, why on EARTH are you running an "average" computer as your development platform? You should probably have at least 1-2GB of RAM (for "small", independet projects, memory shouldn''t be a huge issue in the first place...but that''s beside the point).

If you really want to use a buggy, outdated, non-compliant implementation, though...feel free to stick with 6.0.

Also, to reiterate:

Visual Studdio .Net can create a wide variety of wholly compiled, partially compiled, or uncompiled code. There is nothing requiring you to use C#. There is nothing requiring you to use managed C++.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement