• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BtySgtMajor

2D Game Art

This topic is 5280 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, This will probably sound like a stupid question, but...I totally suck at game art, and I wanted to get myself back into DirectX stuff by doing some kind of hexagonal game. I have the tiles--they were easy enough to do--but, when it comes to stuff like trees, mountains, characters, and other sprites, I can''t do anything even remotely decent, and it''s awfully demotivating. My question is: are there any sites out there that have public domain sprites that I can use or manipulate for my own purposes? Thanks again for anybody''s help!

Advertisement
May be easier said than done, but did you try posting in the help wanted section and/or approach a local art school or whatever to see if you can get someone to create original art (on an unpaid basis) for your project?

I just registered with this site a couple weeks ago, and found a 3D artist the day I posted my help wanted! Though I''ll admit that I only found one... so maybe I was just lucky. Well, no harm in trying, right?

Also, check out dieselfemale''s help wanted post. I was impressed with this... a programmer made her game using sprites she made herself. Just stuff like a stick-figure soldier. Enough to make the game functional; just not pretty. So most of the remaining work seems to be a matter of replacing sprites with good art.

I''m new here, so I don''t know if she''s the first GameDev poster to create a "bad art demo" then ask for a 2D artist to help. But I think that approach is sheer genius!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!