• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ottodisk2k

Making tools. MFC?

This topic is 5281 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, i''ve been programming with delphi (for work) for about 3 years, but now i''m moving to c++ and i''m starting a bit of game proramming, but i''ve got some questions. Since delphi is a rad, doing visual application is very fast, but in c++ (under wintel) what i need to use? MFC? (i can''t use c# or .net platform). If yes you have a good book (or site) that can help me? I need it for writing tools that have to interact with opengl (like visualizion tools, csg editors, etc). Thanks for the help and apologize my bad english, but i''m italian ^^

Advertisement
If you plan on sticking with C++, you have two choices. Either go with MFC or code the dialogs yourself (which takes a long time).
Both are very frustrating.

If you are willing to learn C#, things would definitely be easier. dotNet increases development speed, and with the great Automatic Codecompletion and C#''s memory management, you''re tool will be done in just a few hours of work.

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- Google | Google for GameDev.net | GameDev.net''s DirectX FAQ. (not as cool as the Graphics and Theory FAQ)

quote:
(i can''t use c# or .net platform)

Why not? You don''t have to buy VS.Net to do it, SharpDevelop is a free IDE that supports both C# and VB.Net and with Windows Forms the actual GUI part is pretty easy.

www.codeproject.com - Lots of good tutorials. Do a search for "opengl mfc"

Programming Windows With MFC by Jeff Prosise is a good book.

Just remember, MFC is getting old, and will not be easy to learn. Every time I must do something with MFC, I loose year of my life from the stress, and I say never again.

Glass_Knife
I think, therfore I am.
I think?

Yeah...I''m a C++ hound if you will, but even I admit that the simple fact is that C# is going to produce a nice pretty application in a tenth of the time C++ is. I prefer C++ for my game programming...but if I wanted a pretty Windows interface with clicky buttons and the like, I would definitely go to VB before I bothered in C++...I believe our config screen at the beginning of our game is in a .NET language, actually, because it saved money to make it that way...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!