Making tools. MFC?

Started by
5 comments, last by Ottodisk2k 19 years, 10 months ago
Ok, i''ve been programming with delphi (for work) for about 3 years, but now i''m moving to c++ and i''m starting a bit of game proramming, but i''ve got some questions. Since delphi is a rad, doing visual application is very fast, but in c++ (under wintel) what i need to use? MFC? (i can''t use c# or .net platform). If yes you have a good book (or site) that can help me? I need it for writing tools that have to interact with opengl (like visualizion tools, csg editors, etc). Thanks for the help and apologize my bad english, but i''m italian ^^
Advertisement
If you plan on sticking with C++, you have two choices. Either go with MFC or code the dialogs yourself (which takes a long time).
Both are very frustrating.

If you are willing to learn C#, things would definitely be easier. dotNet increases development speed, and with the great Automatic Codecompletion and C#''s memory management, you''re tool will be done in just a few hours of work.

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- Google | Google for GameDev.net | GameDev.net''s DirectX FAQ. (not as cool as the Graphics and Theory FAQ)
quote:(i can''t use c# or .net platform)

Why not? You don''t have to buy VS.Net to do it, SharpDevelop is a free IDE that supports both C# and VB.Net and with Windows Forms the actual GUI part is pretty easy.
Cause i''m trying to convince m y superiors to pass to c++ and they don''t want c# absolutely
Well, are you allowed to use premade libraries? I believe there are some windowing/dialoging libraries on the net. MFC.. I really don''t believe in it.

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- Google | Google for GameDev.net | GameDev.net''s DirectX FAQ. (not as cool as the Graphics and Theory FAQ)
www.codeproject.com - Lots of good tutorials. Do a search for "opengl mfc"

Programming Windows With MFC by Jeff Prosise is a good book.

Just remember, MFC is getting old, and will not be easy to learn. Every time I must do something with MFC, I loose year of my life from the stress, and I say never again.

Glass_Knife
I think, therfore I am.
I think?

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Yeah...I''m a C++ hound if you will, but even I admit that the simple fact is that C# is going to produce a nice pretty application in a tenth of the time C++ is. I prefer C++ for my game programming...but if I wanted a pretty Windows interface with clicky buttons and the like, I would definitely go to VB before I bothered in C++...I believe our config screen at the beginning of our game is in a .NET language, actually, because it saved money to make it that way...
David Clifton

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement