Starting a publishing company

Started by
28 comments, last by redmilamber 19 years, 8 months ago
databandit:
u r looking 4 other bangladeshi gamedevs in another post. So I post there.

Billuminatti:
we are a small bangladeshi gamedev firm completed our first project successfully. now looking for a new one. if u are interested in outsource staffs or any other business opportunities then pls get in touch with us at trimatrik3d@yahoo.com.

regards
topureza
www.trimatrik.com
Hasinur Rahman Rezawww.trimatrik.com
Advertisement
so what are some company that like to invest on the gaming world
Looking FOr Helpmindfusion.ixforums.com
so what are some company that like to invest on the gaming world
Looking FOr Helpmindfusion.ixforums.com
The fact that is sounds like a viable business plan does not mean that it is a viable business plan. I will not debate though that it is not, that is not my interest here.

What I am trying to say is that research need to be done, and I merely took the time to point out the current trend of publishing companies.

If you want investors, you need a business plan. A huge written document with a very specific format and layout which details the plans of the company, the goals, and how you will achive them.

That plan represents everything about how your business will succeed, even if you are not seeking invested creating a business plan will increase the likeliness of your company's success by at least 25% (proven fact).
Gamedev's AI Auto-Reply bot.
Hey!

I am the Business Relations Manager at a well known Indian game dev studio at Bangalore. I would tell you that a fairly experienced game programmer would come at around $22/hr. If its a rookie, of course its lesser than $2000 a month! Shoot a mail to me at vidyuth@raptorentertainment.com if you find this interesting. :)
You say, I say, You say, I...what??
My opinion is that you should shoot somewhere in the middle. For that amount of capital consider this possibility...

Dont pay to develop games. Only accept garage programmers who are in beta stage or later. Dont look for shelfware quality right off the bat. Handle excellent games which might be abit retro in graphics/sound.

Provide online services for your games. Website, forums, screenshots, downloadable demos.

Do the Marketing and Distribution. Printing the CD's, printing the manuals, taking orders, shipping them out. Tackle that before trying to get into stores.

Print and send out catalogs. Advertise in online sites. Do the work getting your developers properly reviewed in magazines or demo'd on free CDs in magazines. Attend conventions and man a table displaying all of the games you publish.

Hire 5-12 people and have most of them be part time. Let them have other jobs to live on and pay them to also come on board with your new starter company.

Thats all I can think of right now. The fact that this business design closely matches the company I work for is purely a coincidence.
Quote:Original post by vidyuth
Hey!

I am the Business Relations Manager at a well known Indian game dev studio at Bangalore. I would tell you that a fairly experienced game programmer would come at around $22/hr. If its a rookie, of course its lesser than $2000 a month! Shoot a mail to me at vidyuth@raptorentertainment.com if you find this interesting. :)

are you talking Rupee or USD?
because there is no chance in hell I would pay anyone there that much when I know I can get someone who is decent for so much less.. I have an office of 4 full time programmers and they are all working for exponentially less money than you descibe here, and they are all fairly good
Hello,

Sorry for the previous post...there seems to be an error in my judgement :D

It would be an average of $18$/hr for a programmer with 5 years exp... thats the amount of experience that i am talkin about.
Artists, about 17$/hr with exp of 2.5 years plus. The Industry in india is more inclined to do artwork than an othe field, including design and sound. We differentiate from the rest in this area. We take up projects with all development streams, includin programmin and design.

Sorry for the wrong numbers there...apologies...:)
If you have qs., shoot!

Vidd.
You say, I say, You say, I...what??
Well as pretty much everyone here has suggested a business plan is the way to start. Also you have to understand the risks involved in performing this type of venture.

First of all the capital you put in is way too low to start a worldwide game publisher. If you really mean business you will need a lot of venture capitalists, loans and other investors.

However your starting capital works for starting something small, that isn't worldwide, maybe local or in a special niché that nobody has thought of, wireless perhaps?

Some people are under the impression that in order to do good you need a big or at least worldwide company, that is not always the case, you can make a good profit on knowing and aiming your production towards a small sector.

In short I would encourage you to set lower but clearer goals, find a sector, research the sector, if the research turns up good focus all your efforts towards that sector and then go from there.

Good luck.
Some painful facts that got missed out re: putting boxes on shelves.

1. Most retailers won't consider putting your boxed game on the shelf unless you give them a non-refundable deposit of upwards of $50,000 (I've heard of $300,000 in some cases) to "protect" them against your game being too crap to sell.

2. Many retailers have *exclusive* contracts to retail games from specific publishers

3. Ditto many retailers will only retail games that are being distributed by a particular company - who can now charge you rather a lot of money for driving your boxes to the store.

4. Most retailers charge an additional set of large fees for any of many other things. e.g.:

- having your games placed on the shelves (seriously! Don't pay, and your boxes will only be given out when customers request them from the staff!)

- minimum spend on marketing (e.g. you HAVE to prove that you've spent more than $75,000 on marketing each month that the game is on the shelves, or else they will pull the game from shelves)

- being placed on "better" shelves. If you don't pay, your boxes are on the top shelf in the dark corner under the broken lightbulb, where no-one will see them.

5. You have to provide a minimum number of boxes, according to however many they ask for.

6. Any unsold boxes they bought off you - even if you said it was too many - you have to refund *in full* when they fail to sell them.

...etc. I've heard of nastier stuff, and nicer stuff, but on the whole it's extremely difficult to break into. The best way in (or so I'm told) is a large chequebook and lots of bribes - mainly to the retailer, but also to the distributors and any other middlemen who might help plead your case.

(insert usual warning about YMMV and this is all 2nd-hand info here)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement