Moving in a 3D world

Started by
5 comments, last by Tera_Dragon 19 years, 10 months ago
Which is best do do when you want to move through a 3D world: gluLookAt or translate and rotate the world acording to the input. Thanks for any help Tera_Dragon ____________________________________________________________ Programmers Resource Central
____________________________________________________________Programmers Resource Central
Advertisement
They are acctually the same thing. gluLookAt(); just does it for you. I personaly disagree with NeHe teaching the use of the camera by using translate and rotate, but he is a much better coder than me, so i wont argue. I would use gluLookAt in your case. If u need help using it, just post

------------

"Here lies a toppled God,
His fall was not a small one,
We but built his pedastle,
A narrow, and a tall one"
Frank Herbert (Dune:Messiah)
------------ "Here lies a toppled God,His fall was not a small one,We but built his pedastle,A narrow, and a tall one" Frank Herbert (Dune:Messiah)
quote:Original post by Kris2456
I would use gluLookAt in your case.

whats that supposed to mean? :-P

its easier if u ask me. But its best just to search "camera" in the search forum thing, and u will find loads of stuff.
------------ "Here lies a toppled God,His fall was not a small one,We but built his pedastle,A narrow, and a tall one" Frank Herbert (Dune:Messiah)
gluLookAt is fine for beginner''s ogl.

However, once you''re passed that point, and have a solid engine: Use your own Matrix44 class, and load it into openGL with glLoadMatrix.

-----------------------------
Amma
-----------------------------Amma
so what''s so bad about LookAt ? It''s easy to use and does exactly what you think it does..
Why is using your own 4x4 matrix better ?
cheers
quote:Original post by ade-the-heat
so what''s so bad about LookAt ? It''s easy to use and does exactly what you think it does..
Why is using your own 4x4 matrix better ?
cheers

Becouse you''ll need that matrix for bunch of other things later on.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement