• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roof Top Pew Wee

Clearing events working inside a class, but not outside.

This topic is 5223 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In my engine, I have a Sprite object, which as an event as follows: public event customFunction customFunctions; So my understanding that if I want to clear the customFunctions event and start fresh, I simply write customFunctions = null; Then += whatever I want. That works fine inside of the Sprite class, but if I try to set customFunctions outside of the Sprite class, I get a syntax error. And the event is public for sure, so that''s not the issue. C:\Projects\Entai\GameMain.cs(189): The event ''FRB.Sprite.customFunctions'' can only appear on the left hand side of += or -= I encased customFunctions = null inside a method in my SpriteClass, but why would I need to do that for it to work? This is for my particle creation/destruction, so any bit of speed is needed. Any ideas? --Vic--

Advertisement
IIRC, one of the main differences between events and delegates is that events are more protected, in that you can only set it inside the class. But don''t quote me on that.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!