• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSimplerOne

C++ Primer Plus/Examples and scripting

This topic is 5224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I used the search function and I guess I should expect no different but I saw varied results, if very few on C++ Primer Plus. I bought this book a while ago and I'm learning it now, and it seems well enough. I'm just curious if someone who read it previously might know of any pitfalls I will run into or anything it is lacking now that they have foresight on it. I also bought Tricks of the game programming gurus by Lamothe as a followup, and I wanted to know if I should be warned of something else before that. I know I need a strong base in C++, and if C++ Primer Plus provides that then my last problem is practice programs. I can do the little exercises at the end of the chapters no problem, but I figure an all encompassing program for more at once would be useful. I can think of all sorts of contained problems, but I really kind of need help on how to think of things I could do for practice. I'm stumped since all I know is dos and I guess I'm not approaching this right (what dos is capable of doing). edit: I am also questioning the worth of learning a scripting language. I am assuming it is probably good to learn some C++ first and get a good base in that? Or what scripting languages and such are worth looking into for serious development that extend onto your C++ knowledge. I'm thinking of SDL, Angelscript, python, and such. I do appreciate help. You can IM on aim as BlizardBrian if you want or if I am asking the wrong question or doing something silly as to warrant views with no responses. [edited by - TheSimplerOne on June 5, 2004 12:00:48 AM]

Advertisement
C++ Primer Plus is a fine book. It actually goes into detail when describing modern C++ features, like class template partial specializations, partial function ordering, exceptions, modern iostreams, and enough STL to whet your appetite. You should reinforce that knowledge with Thinking in C++ (one of the best books on C++, free too) 2nd edition, and Effective and More Effective C++. You should also read up on "C++ faq" (google it) and you should have a really firm grasp on C++ and its nuances (and there are a LOT of those). Experience and learning by doing are the best tho, so starting a project once you''re comfortable is a must.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!