• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WolfSpring

Copy right and my idea.

This topic is 5278 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok I''m a newb to programming. Starting with C++, from what I''ve read it will be about OCT before I do my first 2D design for learning, and January before I even think about 3D, I''ve got a 3 month army school from july-Sept, thats why my times are far off. I have a killer idea for a game, no i''m not going to try and pitch it here, and I''m not looking for money for my idea, i just wanna make this, or have someone else do it for me, only credit i''d want is the game for free for me and my friends who came up with the ideas, off track, not why i''m posting. Anyway, if I were to tell someone else about my idea and they made it there own, and then I later decided to make the game, as long as the game didn''t look like it or have similar name, the concept cannot be copywrighted am i right? Yeah I know I can''t spell for squat. One of my buddies who''d like to help me do this is worried I told someone and they will "steal" my idea. I''m not worried about someone else doing it, because it may rock if they do. If I try to take it on it might be a year or more before I''ve learned enough, I''m not blessed with a scheduele, being in the army cuts down time to learn/study. Any input or legal points on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisement
Concepts cannot be copyrighted, that''s what patents are for.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
— Brian W. Kernighan

Previous poster is correct. You can only copyright "art". In this case that would be code, or images or sounds, or text that has your story.

The only way you could protect an idea for a game is if you made someone sign a non-disclosure agreement prior to telling them the idea.

Thanks for the replys, I''m all about sharing my idea with people, if they can make a playable game out of it more power to them. I just want to be able to take my own idea and one day do it my way. Thanks again.

If the game is going to be free and you don''t even care who writes it, than what do you care about copyright/patent/trademark/other IP law?

If you cannot produce a compelling implementation, or have a very trustworthy friend who can, you cannot usefully use it.

"A game idea" can neither be copyrighted, or (hopefully) patented - it''s just too vague a concept.

Even if it could, it would be worthless, the value is in the implementation. So many times, we have seen good ideas implemented badly fail, or bad (unoriginal) ideas implemented well, and become a success.

Your only protection from copycats would be to get your compelling implementation to market first

Mark

Thank you all for the reply''s they are most helpfull. As for the article I had read that already. I just would like to see my game idea a reality, weather someone else does it or I do it on my own, what I fear is someone else does it while I''m learning to do it and I still want to put my own spin on it and someone telling me I can''t. I''m seriously not in this for the money, I mean reality is the guy making/comming up with the game does not make as much money as the time he''d put behind the game. I''d make more money if I took a side job installing broadband connections for sprint, which I''ve already been offered a job doing so. I just want to have this idea made into a concept, and I''ll learn along the way, more of a hobby, like rebuilding an old car, it will take time for me to learn how to program, and last night I had some reality put into my time line, some top programmers told me it was two years into training before they were able to do a tetris clone. This scares me, but does not deter me from learning. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!